• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loxicom time & dose in ml?

Toasty123

Warren Scout
I gave 3kg dose of loxicom (it's the dog syringe) on Toasty's food at 10:45pm last night but he didn't finish it all so i gave him the other bit of his nuggets and I think that was around 1am. Today the vet increased his dose and said I can give the 2kg dose twice a day, as one of his legs are still sore from the day he jumped from my lap :(. (I give it on his nuggets in a separate small bowl as I like to make sure he's getting it along some food)
I'm not really sure when I should give his first dose today?
Also in the past Toasty was on 0.25ml of metacam when he was with another veterinary practice. I'm not sure what the 2kg dose of loxicom is equivalent too in ml? Can anyone help out with this please:? I'm terrible at math :roll:

I gave 3kg dose of loxicom (it's the dog syringe) on Toasty's food at 10:45pm last night but he didn't finish it all so i gave him the other bit of his nuggets and I think that was around 1am. Today the vet increased his dose and said I can give the 2kg dose twice a day, as one of his legs are still sore from the day he jumped from my lap :(. (I give it on his nuggets in a separate small bowl as I like to make sure he's getting it along some food)
I'm not really sure when I should give his first dose today?
Also in the past Toasty was on 0.25ml of metacam when he was with another veterinary practice. I'm not sure what the 2kg dose of loxicom is equivalent too in ml? Can anyone help out with this please:? I'm terrible at math :roll:

Can you just syringe it into his mouth? He really needs the full dose tbh, and you don't have to give it with food (like you do for cats and dogs) so there's really no benefit, he's just not getting his full dose.

I'd give a dose every 12 hours if it's twice a day now.

Its hard to know what the equivalent is, only way you'd know is if you syringed up the 2kg amount and put it in a normal syringe to measure the amount etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Can you just syringe it into his mouth? He really needs the full dose tbh, and you don't have to give it with food (like you do for cats and dogs) so there's really no benefit, he's just not getting his full dose.

Its hard to know what the equivalent is, only way you'd know is if you syringed up the 2kg amount and put it in a normal syringe to measure the amount etc.

really i didn't know that, I just remember the vet once told me that if it's given on an empty stomach their stomach explodes (something like that). Ever since it just scared me :roll:. It's probably not true then i'm guessing. Thanks Graciee x

Also i'm not sure if i can give the loxicom right now since it's changed to twice a day :?

really i didn't know that, I just remember the vet once told me that if it's given on an empty stomach their stomach explodes (something like that). Ever since it just scared me :roll:. It's probably not true then i'm guessing. Thanks Graciee x
Blimey that's scary [emoji38] yea I know for dogs and cats you have to give it with food, but not for buns, not really feasible, I just syringe the dose into the side of the mouth :)

Blimey that's scary [emoji38] yea I know for dogs and cats you have to give it with food, but not for buns, not really feasible, I just syringe the dose into the side of the mouth :)

Yeh I'll just do that now :). Before he was really good at finishing the dose when he was on metacam. That's probably sweeter than loxicom i'm guessing because of the honey flavour :lol:

Yeh I'll just do that now :). Before he was really good at finishing the dose when he was on metacam. That's probably sweeter than loxicom i'm guessing because of the honey flavour [emoji38]
I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same drug actually! However the cat one does smell different to me [emoji38] so maybe there is a difference

Then the next dose would have been 1pm..however as you missed it, I'd do it sometime this evening that works with your schedule, like if you leave at 7am for the day, maybe do 7am and 7pm instead , so I'd just pick a convenient time tonight now :) x

Then the next dose would have been 1pm..however as you missed it, I'd do it sometime this evening that works with your schedule, like if you leave at 7am for the day, maybe do 7am and 7pm instead , so I'd just pick a convenient time tonight now :) x

Thanks Graciee, i was just a little confused as to how long it stays in the system for. Is it 24 hours or is it actually less than that?

Thanks Graciee, i was just a little confused as to how long it stays in the system for. Is it 24 hours or is it actually less than that?
People says it's 24 hours.. But then some say rabbits metabolise it quicker than that.. But if your vets saying twice a day, that's every 12 hours so I'd go with that. We always give it twice a day here, I don't think once is enough personally. I know some vets think it is though.

People says it's 24 hours.. But then some say rabbits metabolise it quicker than that.. But if your vets saying twice a day, that's every 12 hours so I'd go with that. We always give it twice a day here, I don't think once is enough personally. I know some vets think it is though.

Ahh I see, thank you! :love:

Bit late to this, but Rabbits do metabolise Meloxicam ( the active ingredient in Metacam/Loxicom/Meloxaid) faster than other species

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

Hence most Rabbit savvy Vets now prescribe 12 hourly dosing OR give a much higher dose for up to 5 consecutive days

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/pain-management-rabbits/drug-focus-meloxicam/
Ah thanks Jane :)

So I know the dog one is three times the strength of the cat one, but they do smell different to me.. Am I just being crazy? And they're exactly the same? [emoji38]

Ah thanks Jane :)

So I know the dog one is three times the strength of the cat one, but they do smell different to me.. Am I just being crazy? And they're exactly the same? [emoji38]

Never had the Cat one so I dont know !

Bit late to this, but Rabbits do metabolise Meloxicam ( the active ingredient in Metacam/Loxicom/Meloxaid) faster than other species

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

Hence most Rabbit savvy Vets now prescribe 12 hourly dosing OR give a much higher dose for up to 5 consecutive days

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/pain-management-rabbits/drug-focus-meloxicam/

Thanks Jane, this is very useful information. I wanted to ask you when I was at the vets I mentioned that Toasty has a wet nose and sneezes sometimes (he has dry fur under his nose too). She gave an injection of 0.12ml of the Terramycin LA injection which lasts for 3 days and told me it's good if he has any snuffles. Is this antibiotic considered safe? I got home and started worrying because it's not mentioned on rabbit's safe antibiotic list online and I've never heard of it before :(

Thanks Jane, this is very useful information. I wanted to ask you when I was at the vets I mentioned that Toasty has a wet nose and sneezes sometimes (he has dry fur under his nose too). She gave an injection of 0.12ml of the Terramycin LA injection which lasts for 3 days and told me it's good if he has any snuffles. Is this antibiotic considered safe? I got home and started worrying because it's not mentioned on rabbit's safe antibiotic list online and I've never heard of it before :(

Terramycin is in a group of antibiotics known as 'Tetracyclines'. The active ingredient is called 'Oxytetracycline'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Oxytetracycline.htm

Thanks Jane, would you know if it's considered normal to have very dark poos after this type of antibiotics? I noticed they look different some were an oval shape :?

When on abx the colour of the poo can change, just as is the case in humans. It is generally nothing to worry about as long as the poo output is not very, very 'mushy' or diarrhoea. Most Rabbits tolerate Baytril well, even if most hate the taste of it if given orally. Make sure that Toasty has a good intake of fibre (hay) and avoid feeding carrots and fruit ( as they contain a lot of sugar). Also, make sure he is not leaving lots of uneaten cecotrophs.

There is much debate as to the benefits of giving Rabbits probiotics, but doing so wont do any harm. Here are a couple of examples :

https://www.protexin.com/products/fibreplex-for-rabbits/26

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_3.aspx

Back