• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Hillian' - update

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Good evening RU friends. It's been a few weeks since I posted anything relative to Lillian & Henry. But Ihave been following everybuns thread.
Things have been reasonably quiet so far (touch wood) with Lillian & Henry but I thought I'd update you on their progress following todays vet visit.
Don't panic - the vet visit was planned for Henry and his follow up RHD2 vaccine (more of that in a moment).
Henry had his first part of the RHD/myxy jab 2 weeks ago. He's not a fan of the vet and we had all sorts of problems last year with the jab. Henry's weight 2 weeks ago was 1.9kg which was I thought, pretty ok for a nethie. He was perky and full of beans, as you would expect. But following the injection, Henry sort of changed. He got runny tummy - pretty bad, and didn't do as much zoomies. His tummy also gurgled alot - noticable as I was cleaning his bottom. He was eating ok and drinking.
Lillian meanwhile, was/is fine. We've reduced pellet intake to a tiny weeny handful in the morning and at night. Which is tricky because Henry loves pellets. But we need yo reduce Lillians weight so it's more greens/herbs/hay and less pellets. Poor Lillian is....welll....starving! She has 4 mouthfuls to Henry's one. Get her in the garden and she's all over the lawn. And I'm still working on getting footage of her ringing the bell - which I will do over xmas. She rang it deliberately 5 times the other evening in her demand for food.
Anyhoo, my concern was Henry and his follow up for the RHD2 vaccine was tonight and we took Lills along for company.
Vet gave Henry a thorough examination. Temperature was normal - spot on. She heard the tummy gurgling which the vet felt was Henry's tummy working overtime - so I guess that's better than stasis. The vet suggested that this could be due to Henry's lack of intake of pellets (he's been having to eat more greens). And also the small doasage of metacam that we've given Henry the last couple of evenings to try and see if that helped. Metacam, so I was informed, can also lead to diahorrea. I didn't know that.
I was concerned that Henry had lost weight but was quite surprised that he has actually put on weight - he is 2kg. So I took that as a positive.
The vet decided to hold back on the vaccine until his tummy has settled. I agree with that totally. So now we have to find a way of giving Henry more pellets and less greens, whilst giving Lillian less pellets and more greens. No one said this would be easy.
Lillian, meanwhile, was just along for the ride and to keep Henry comforted. But we toook the opportunity to get her weighed. Lillians last weight in November was 3.65kg and I was hoping to see that go down. And thankfully her weight has fallen slightly to 3.6kg. Not massive, but small steps with Lillian.
We're back next week for Henry's vaccination so hopefully his tummy will be settled by then.
Sending everybun xmas wishes from everyone here - and a massive thank you to you all for all the wonderful support you have shown and given for Lillian and Henry this year.
Craig xx

Glad to read a mostly positive update! Maybe you could add some more photos of them as I always love seeing what they get up to - hint :lol: :lol:

Have you tried a treat ball that leaks food as they push it? I feel like Lillian might not be as motivated to use it but if Henry loves pellets then he might be a prime candidate for it, and would give him extra food! Plus if Lillian does use it then she's getting exercise while using it :lol:

Thanks for the update Craig, its always lovely to hear how your two are doing, they are very lucky buns to be in your safe hands. I've no suggestions regarding feeding, but I'm sure you'll find way to keep them both happy. Have a lovely Christmas xxx

Thanks for the update Craig :D, i'm glad things are going well (in the main).
regarding Henry, Poppy (d.) was deffo off colour for about a week after her vhd2 early last year. iirc it is a fairly new vaccine. I reported it to the vets but didn't take her back.
weight-wise, imo things are sounding good. I worry if mine are underweight but not if slightly overweight. my thinking is that they have a bit in reserve in case they get poorly. I think pellets is definitely the cause! tbh, mine get only a tiny amount of pellets in the summer as they are outside for lots of hrs munching grass but in the winter they are only out from 07:30 - 16:30 (dawn to dusk) so I can't resist giving them more pellets than they probably should have & Pepper is deffo on the chunky side right now - looks like he's been hitting the gym :lol:
I hope you & your wife have a great xmas You have a couple of wonderful buns in your care & they are very lucky to have such a caring home :love: :love: :love: xxx

I’m glad they are doing well :love: although - I didn’t know Henry was a Nethie? 1.9 kg seems very heavy for a Nethie, perhaps he’s a Nethie cross? I think Frosty is probably a Nethie cross and he’s 1.3kg at his heaviest.

Will Henry eat Fibafirst Sticks rather than pellets ?. My Lord H has a 'hyperactive' GI tract due to his complex health problems. If he has any type of pelleted/muesli feed it goes through him like a dose of salts. But now-a-days he can cope with Fibafirst.

Also, Bramble leaves are good for settling a Rabbit's tummy. Perhaps replacing greens with bramble leaves may help ?

Thank you every bun for reading and taking time to post such helpful advice.
JJ - This is really helpful. The vet suggested fibreplex stuff yesterday so we may look at that. Bramble leaves? We have some that have grown in our garden. Henry and Lillian know where they are but will they eat them? Nah, they ignore thm so I may go and pick hat I can find.
Zoobc - yes you are indeed correct - Henry is likely a nethie cross as he isn't really a true nethie - he is too big. But he does have nethie attitude.
Mike - thank you so much.
C&D - yes I am working on the bell ringing.
And finally Nap91 - yes I am going to post a couple of photos later that I took tonight.
Thank you all again
Craig

As promised - for Nap91, here are a couple of photos of Hillian from tonight.
dOaRPCr.jpg
[/IMG]
eNZxGEE.jpg
[/IMG]

They are quite similar - taken seconds apart. The plate of greens lasted less than 4 minutes and no prizes for guessing where 90% of that ended up. It was about 5pm and they'd not had much during the day - so Lillian was 'hungry'.

:love: I know what you mean about the Nethie attitude :lol: I get the Nethie death stare from Frosty sometimes :lol:

Back