• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rabbit?

Alicia

Mama Doe
Jelly is alone now. I’ve lost 3 rabbits since October (not disease related/anything that can be passed on) and I don’t know what to do. I don’t want Jelly to be lonely but I’m really worried about losing anymore. I’ve seen an advert for a 4 year old neutered/vaccinated dwarf lop and he really caught my eye. I sent a message and he’s still available but now I’m not sure in case I lose anymore :(

It sounds like you have just been unlucky. Is Jelly indoors?

Sounds like you can give a loving home to another bunny and since he really caught your eye he may be the one :)

As your previous losses were not due to any disease, I see no reason why you should not get another rabbit. I can understand that you will be cautious, but this is probably going to be the case whether you get another partner for Jelly now or wait a couple of months.

If I were in your position and had seen the details of another rabbit, who is still available, I would go for it.

I hope that it works out well for you all.

You've had a horrible run of bad luck & I can understand your fears but the past does not predict the future in things like this. I'd double check by vaccinated this other bun has been covered for RHVD2 too (only saying this as Rudey was advertised as vaccinated but his other mum wasn't aware of rhvd2 so he wasn't fully vaccinated - she was happy to arrange it before he came to us tho). If all signs are good I'd go for it, it'll be nice for the new bun to have a good forever home & for Jelly too

Personally I'd hold off taking on another Rabbit until after Christmas/New Year. I say this as your other losses were apparently 'sudden and of unknown cause' and also should any New Rabbit have problems not disclosed by a Seller the last thing you'd need is lots of out-of-hours Vet consultations. This is just my opinion and it clearly differs from that of others who have responded to your question. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. As J&B said, if you do take on the Rabbit you have seen advertised I'd definitely obtain documentation to prove the Rabbit has had both the Nobivac Vaccination and either Filivac or Eravac. If Eravac was given it only gives protection against RHD2 for 9 months

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472636-Vaccinations-2019&p=7041560#post7041560

Personally I'd hold off taking on another Rabbit until after Christmas/New Year. I say this as your other losses were apparently 'sudden and of unknown cause' and also should any New Rabbit have problems not disclosed by a Seller the last thing you'd need is lots of out-of-hours Vet consultations. This is just my opinion and it clearly differs from that of others who have responded to your question. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. As J&B said, if you do take on the Rabbit you have seen advertised I'd definitely obtain documentation to prove the Rabbit has had both the Nobivac Vaccination and either Filivac or Eravac. If Eravac was given it only gives protection against RHD2 for 9 months

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472636-Vaccinations-2019&p=7041560#post7041560

I agree with this. It will give you a chance for Jelly to go through a quarantine period. I really really hope you don’t mind me saying but if I was in your situation, if you haven’t already, I would check to ensure that the shed is not painted/furnished with anything that might inadvertently be poisonous, I would also get rid of any hay/food/pellets in case anything is contaminated at all, and ensure no one could be getting to them and feeding them with anything harmful. In fact this is one of the reasons that I now would not have outdoor rabbits again, as they are so fragile and I am borderline paranoid about ‘external’ problems causing issues.

Sending lots of hugs xx

some good advice above.
imo buns need a partner. even if they seem OK on their own they are so much happier with company. it's just such a shame that bonding isn't easier sometimes.

Back