• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed

Carole

Warren Scout
Hi,

I am thinking about taking a pair of rescue bunnies on who are extremely friendly but one of them have slight snuffles.

Being fairly new to all this, would you recommend that I do this, they are absolutely lovely, but I want to be sensible about this and not let me heart rule my head. As I have found some of the reading about snuffles quite offputting.

I am not concerned about the vet bills, it is more about the quality of life, apparently he just has a sneeze now and then. The lady at the rescue has been very helpful and given me lots of advice.

This condition was apparently caused in the first place by stress as he was abandoned, but he has turned out to the the friendliest bunny ever.

Any advice about whether I should take them or not would be much appreciated, I really didnt have any hesitation until I have been reading up on the condition.

Thank you.

Whether we like to think of it or not everybun is going to pass away from something. A bun with snuffles may have a reduced lifespan or may not. If its mild then there is no reason why he/she couldn't live as long as the next bun.

There is the possibility at some point it could get worse. You need to bare in mind that at some point(s) you may need to give antibiotics, which is extra work on your part although something that could happen with anybun.

A bun with snuffles can have a good quality of life, it sounds like at the moment its not effected by it at all. Buns with snuffles may have flare up during which is gets worse and then improve again on ab's.

I imagine what you have read about is probably the worst case senario where a bun has got very sick.

None of us can really tell you whether to take the buns on or not. As they are now I think you'd have no problems but no one can predict the future health, then that a risk you have taking on any animal.

Tam

Hi Tam,

Thank you for your sensible advice, which is basically what I thought.

The rescue where I am getting them from said there are very different trains of thought on this, she personally says that she has been rescuing for a long time, and none of her other bunnies have ever caught it from another - if you know what I mean.

Like I said it is not the expense, and I have to say with these bunnies that the natures of them - they are fantastically friendly with humans, outweighs the snuffles problem in my opinion. It is just that some of the things I read obviously like you said are the worse case senarios.

When I think back years ago I had a black rex that kept getting absesses so I suppose at least I know what I am getting, and also the lady did say that if the worse came to the worst, she will always take them back, she has been very upfront with me, to be honest I would never have known there was anything wrong with him.

Thanks again I do appreciate your advice.

Carole

Back