• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Down Time

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very sorry for the down time. The forum suffered from a hacking attempt, this is something that has happened to lots of places not targeting us specifically. Hopefully, the host has done somethings their end, I've patch the forum software and that sorted everything.

For future reference, when there's a problem with the forum I'll stick a message up on the RR homepage so take a look there for updates :)

Tam

Yippee - so glad that it's back up and running again - thought it may be down for days :shock: Should have known that Tam the whizz kid would sort it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah glad the main page was ok as I sent you an email from RR as soon as the message came up - I just went to refresh the forum page and got the hacked message instead (simple but to the point I suppose "This website has been hacked!!" and I am guessing what was the name of the worm they used)!

Glad you were able to fix it - I was worried it had screwed all the code when I got the message saying "permission denied" and you wouldn't be able to retrieve the posts etc!

Well done Tamsin

Caz

People who do this are pains in the buns but least it was not offensive or insultive in anyway.

Alot of people just do it to show off and say 'hey look what I can do' and some will then contact you afterwards and offer their services to protect against stuff like that.

Thanks Tamsin, I resigned myself to wrapping presents and writing christmas cards for the duration :roll: :lol:

You're a star! :wink:

Thanks so much Tamsin for sorting things out :wink:
Just a query..do you save all the Forum data, back up postings etc every now and then onto CD..just incase we ever loose the lot which would be terrible :shock:

Yay, Tamsin to the rescue!

I was worried that all previous posts would have been wiped, too! :shock:

I was also worried I was the culprit...when I whined to my Dad that the forum was down b/c of a virus, he said "gee, that's funny, we had a worm attack on the comp earlier today"...imagine my shock...and horror!

The permission denied was where the host temporarily disabled the account whilst they did some work.

The forum has a database which stores all the posts and members and the files which control how that information is displayed. This hack just effected the files and didn't touch the database. So although the information couldn't be displayed it was still there in the database.

I have a complete copy of all the files so they are easily replaced if something corrupts them like this. I also back up the database roughly every two weeks (it takes about 2.5hrs to download you lot have talking soo much!). The host probably has backups as well, that are done a little more frequently.

If something does corrupt the database there is a possibility we could lose some of the more recent posts but we wouldn't lose the whole thing.

Tam
Ps. Yep I got some some wrapping done too :D

Tamsin said:
Ps. Yep I got some some wrapping done too :D

Yay Tamsin :thumb:

Thank you for explaining about the back up of forum files in more detail, that is reassuring to know :D

:D we need a contingency plan!!

somewhere we can all go when we are unable to get here !lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I haven't missed as much as I could've then :?
Al's dad is our computer expert and said it was a virus that crashed our computer. All fixed and better than ever now :D ...........although I've lost all my favourites, unsaved pics..... :?

That is a pain Beck. I have had to concentrate on my work and save it every few minutes..just in case!! I will get it fixed but I need it just now...especially to catch up on here :lol: :lol:

Back