• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tethra poorly

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Have just got back from vets. Ate normal pellets for breakfast, slept all morning as usual and then refused Parsley this afternoon. Tried him with a pellet, which he refused. Phoned vets and took him down within half an hour. Before we left OH got him to eat a couple of small Kale leaves.

Unfortunately vet was one I don't normally see. Said he had no gut sounds. Would this be the case if he'd eaten breakfast and the Kale? Wanted to give him one injection of pain relief and gut meds combined ?? I queried this and she said OK I'll give him what you're used to and so he had Metacam and Metaclopramide. Said he wouldn't need oral meds when I asked for them, but to syringe feed him tonight and tomorrow.

Since he's come home he's nibbled some hay and eaten quite a lot of Parsley :) I'm baffled.

No idea of his output this morning.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not sure about the gut sounds to be honest, but really hope that Tethra is ok and is pooping soon. Sending lots of vibes for him xxx

Phew I am glad he's eating again. Do you think he was spooked by something? Sending more eating vibes xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rabbits are strange little things aren’t they! Glad he is eating again xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have just got back from vets. Ate normal pellets for breakfast, slept all morning as usual and then refused Parsley this afternoon. Tried him with a pellet, which he refused. Phoned vets and took him down within half an hour. Before we left OH got him to eat a couple of small Kale leaves.

Unfortunately vet was one I don't normally see. Said he had no gut sounds. Would this be the case if he'd eaten breakfast and the Kale? Wanted to give him one injection of pain relief and gut meds combined ?? I queried this and she said OK I'll give him what you're used to and so he had Metacam and Metaclopramide. Said he wouldn't need oral meds when I asked for them, but to syringe feed him tonight and tomorrow.

Since he's come home he's nibbled some hay and eaten quite a lot of Parsley :) I'm baffled.

No idea of his output this morning.

It is possible for there to be no gut sounds even if Bunny ate a few hours prior to refusing food. Hopefully once the pain relief has kicked in and the metoclopramide has increased the rate at which his stomach empties things will start moving through. Fluids are important as with gut stasis the gut contents quickly become dehydrated, making it more difficult for it all to pass through. I'd keep a check on his temperature too as poorly Bunnies can struggle to maintain their body temperature. Providing him with a heat pad may be a good idea. I hope he'll soon be feeling a lot better xx

Aww, sorry to hear your boy was / is unwell. All I know of gut sounds is FHB said she didn't consider their presence or absence helpful / meaningful (this was at her lectures, not to me personally). In the past my buns have had short periods of refusing foods but pulled it round before I got to hoof them to the vet, up to a few hours. Hopefully he was a bit windy & your swift action getting motility drugs has him back on track. Vibes xx

Thanks everyone. Not sure what to think really. He's eaten a few pellets and actually gobbled some very wet Coriander. He doesn't seem to be holding himself so oddly either, so hopefully he will quickly get back to normal. I'm not sure what caused it tbh. I doubt that he was spooked, loobers, but of course he might have been. His weight had also gone down by 0.1kg, which is not a huge amount, but something I'll need to watch carefully.

Tui of course is looking very leapy and bouncy as she's not used to so much different food being produced in the evening :)

I'm really sorry to read that Tethra has been poorly today [emoji17] Although it is encouraging that he has now started to eat for himself again.

You acted really quickly in getting him to the vet and onto treatment so hopefully he will be back to normal by the morning.

That's interesting about gut sounds. I always thought that no gut sounds was one of those "go into panic mode immediately" situations!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry to read that Tethra has been poorly today [emoji17] Although it is encouraging that he has now started to eat for himself again.

You acted really quickly in getting him to the vet and onto treatment so hopefully he will be back to normal by the morning.

That's interesting about gut sounds. I always thought that no gut sounds was one of those "go into panic mode immediately" situations!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Me too. However, I've just read an article by Molly Varga, who states that rabbits who are stressed in the vets (i.e. Tethra) don't always exhibit gut motility and so it's always worth waiting for at least a minute or two. The vet today didn't check that long.

So I still am not sure whether there was a 'real' problem or not. I do know that I'm really pleased that I went to the vets though. I guess I'll know tomorrow when the pain relief wears off.

Oh I'm so glad he's nomming again! Hope it continues, millions of vibes xxx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It is possible for there to be no gut sounds even if Bunny ate a few hours prior to refusing food. Hopefully once the pain relief has kicked in and the metoclopramide has increased the rate at which his stomach empties things will start moving through. Fluids are important as with gut stasis the gut contents quickly become dehydrated, making it more difficult for it all to pass through. I'd keep a check on his temperature too as poorly Bunnies can struggle to maintain their body temperature. Providing him with a heat pad may be a good idea. I hope he'll soon be feeling a lot better xx
Jane gave good advice, especially about fluids.
Sending vibes for a fast recovery.

Me too. However, I've just read an article by Molly Varga, who states that rabbits who are stressed in the vets (i.e. Tethra) don't always exhibit gut motility and so it's always worth waiting for at least a minute or two. The vet today didn't check that long.

So I still am not sure whether there was a 'real' problem or not. I do know that I'm really pleased that I went to the vets though. I guess I'll know tomorrow when the pain relief wears off.
My Raven had slow gut sounds today and my vet took time to check a second time before we left so he may have read same thing. Eating again should help. Sending lots of vibes.

Tethra seems OK now. He ate more pellets and very wet herbs late last night. This morning he is keen for breakfast, has produced normal-looking poo and is moving around with Tui.

No idea whether there was something wrong or whether I over-reacted, but still glad I went to the vets. He will be watched very carefully.

Back