• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zippy went to the Bridge today

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My last BARC bun, Zippy, was helped to the Bridge today. He has been walking, rather than hopping, for some time and has seen a vet twice. I recently started daily Metacam but it made no difference and he needed regular bottom baths as his droppings all stuck to him. Yesterday I noticed he was soaked with urine too and really seemed to struggle to move around. I bathed him and gave him Metacam. He had an appointment with the best bunny vet Pets at Home recommend tomorrow but this morning I knew it was time to let him go. He was in the same position as I had left him last night, lying in his mess.

I just turned up at the Pets at Home vet with no appointment. The receptionist was a bit snotty with me to start with but came around when she saw how upset I was. The vet saw me straight away and agreed that Zippy had deteriorated significantly. I had hoped it was just arthritis but it never responded to Metacam so the vet thought it could be a degenerative spinal problem some elderly bunnies get.

I wanted to stay with Zippy but the vet said they usually take the bun out the back and use gas. I have always stayed with my rabbits at previous vets and said this. The vet agreed to take Zippy out the back, sedate him and put a cannula in his ear and then bring him back so I could cuddle him while he had the final injection. I wasn't really happy with this but was in no position to argue and was aware that the waiting room was filling up as he was the only vet on duty.

When Zippy came back with the vet and a nurse the vet said he had not needed to be sedated. I held him and kissed him and told him how much I loved him and he went peacefully to the Bridge.

I had to go to work but a friend came over this afternoon and dug a hole. He was meant to come over later to bury Zippy with me but never turned up so I did it myself. It was horrible as it was dark and I only had the light from the torch on my mobile. The hole wasn't wide enough so I couldn't lay Zippy flat which meant he is not deep enough so I have put three heavy plant pots over the grave and will have to keep something there permanently so that a fox doesn't dig him up.

Zippy was a gentle soul and never once tried to bite me despite all the hands on care I have had to give him recently.

I had been offered an x-ray but it was over £500 and I think the treatment would still have only been analgesia.

I still feel that I have let Zippy down though:(:(:(

Binky free Zippy. I love you very much xxxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry. :cry: What a very sad time for you. You didn't let him down. You stepped up and did what he needed at great personal cost. I'm thinking of you and sending comforting hugs your way. ((((((Rhianna))))))

Sleep well, Zippy. xxxx

You did a kind and brave thing. You loved Zippy and stepped up when he needed you. I'm sorry for your loss x

I'm really sorry to hear this, you did a very unselfish thing by helping Zippy to the bridge. Being with him at the end would have been a big comfort to him. Hugs for you xx binky free Zippy xxx

I am so sorry for your loss.
It pains me that you think you let him down. You did what was best for him.
Many of us question ourself after a loss.
I am sorry burial created additional stress. I am sure zippy will enjoy a pot. You can also get an ordinary patio block from a garden center to place over zippys resting place

I am so sorry you had to let Zippy go but it sounds like he had no quality of life. Binky free Zippy xx

I’m so sorry you had to let him go, but I know you made the right decision for him and certainly didn’t fail him. Sending love and hugs xx

Thank you everyone. I really miss him when I feed the others and they both seem sad too. A friend has given me a paving slab - I just need to get it from the car to the garden now to put on top of Zippy's grave. The vet nurse did a paw print and I cut off a piece of fur before I buried him. I hope he has found Violet - his wife who went to the Bridge last year.

Back