• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aren't bunnies amazing....

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
There are times when I wish I had a video camera to hand to share what is otherwise a boring story for you all. But you'll have to use your imagination until it happens again...
'Hillian' were keen to get out this morning and for once it was dry here in Suffolk. Lillian has been stuffing her face with fresh veg every day since her recovery last week and I've been rationing the pellets to the point where they are almost none existant. Lillian of course, isn't liking this and is going on an eating rampage.
Anyhoo, they roared off into the garden this morning just before 9am and spent the morning merrilly scoffing any and everything she could find- leaves, grass, weeds and so on. I kept an eye on them whilst they were out, as I was cooking and making meals for the week.
I sat down for lunch and at about 2pm, Lillian came bounding down the garden towards the kitchen/diner. We'd left the patio door open but the inner door to the living room was closed - to keep what little heat we had, in. Lillian stops in the doorway as if to say "hello? I'm back - can I come in?" amd so we opened the inner door and she zoomed in, full of herself. I thought she had come in for a warm. It was, afterall, mid afternoon.
I'd just sat down, Lillian had been in for less than 30 seconds when, from the far side of the room......"ting".
She had deliberately and purposefully rang her food bell. She had such presence of mind, such forward awareness and deliberate planning, that she knew exactly what she was going to do. She had made a very definate decision - a calculated choice based on need and demand and also had the awareness and intelligence to know that (a) she wanted fresh veg and (b) the way to get it on a plate so to speak, was to ring her bell.
Henry trailed in about 2 minutes behind her, in case you were wondering.
Lillian just sat there, with an excited look about her, whilst the fresh veg bag was brought in - fresh greens, chopped dill, parsley, corriander, basil and mint. And her little fac lit up once the food was put down for her.
One day I will capture this and post it for you all.
Quite simply, amazing behaviour.

That is just lovely Craig, you painted such a brilliant picture of Lillian through your description, I could almost see her without a video :love:

I know that Lillian is ringing the bell on purpose for sure! When we are late up for bunny breakfast time they wait by the gate to see if we are coming. I have had a bunny who used to stamp every couple second until he had his breakfast. Bunnies are the best

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Wow, that must be a delight! My bunnies would just make raucous noises like tossing their litter pans about when they wanted feeding! :?

Definitely would like to see that. Although I agree you painted the picture beautifully! :)

omg. That is hilarious. many a bunny owner would be really pleased about their training skills - a more savvy owner will recognise she has you well trained. Is a shaky bell or a press bell?

It is a butler bell - the kind you find on posh hotel counters. Lillian is either using her nose or (more likely) picking up up and putting it down to make it ding.
I am going to capture this behaviour - promise. xx

Can you imagine 40 rabbits doing this? I don't think I will be investing in any! [emoji38][emoji38]
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I love this :lol: would love if you can capture her doing it!

We keep churros food in a glass jar next to his hay storage. He starts off just sitting next to it around feeding time, and as he gets impatient he progresses to nudging it, then digging at it, then trying to pull it over. Not as graceful as Lilian ringing a bell

We also joke that he is psychic. It’s like he knows we are going to open the fridge before we even set food in the kitchen and like races us to it, but then he can’t stop and crashes into it :lol:

Oh how brilliant!

Logan goes round in excited circles when I come into their room. He LOVES his food. Moondust is more restrained.

They are lucky to have a herd of 5 guinea pigs on table tops in their room who regularly sumon me with whistles.

Back