• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Raping rabbit!! HELP!

ollie

Warren Scout
My young female rabbit (about 5 months old), keeps mounting my older female guinea pig (she's about 5 yrs). She is obviously distressed by Ollie cos she screams her lil head off! Is there anything I can do apart form seperating them in different hutches? She only does this to one of the pigs and not the other one although they are all kept together! Any tips... please...

You need to seperate them asap. Its not recommended to keep rabbits and guinea pigs together because of problems like this. Rabbits can seriously hurt guinea pigs if they play to rough or get over amourous.

Its best to keep guinea pigs with guinea pigs and rabbits with rabbits, sorry :(

Tam

awww... I didnt want it to get to that, they do fret when they are apart :( I don't understand why they do it, I mean the guinea pig is twice the size of the rabbit!

At five months her hormones are just kicking in. Mounting etc. is a way of establishing dominence and quite common behaviour in both sexes. Two female bunnies kept together may do the same thing. Neutering may help calm her down but its not fair on the pig to keep them together when its obviously distressed. There is also the risk of it escalating into fighting which could do serious harm.

Is it a very small rabbit or a giant guinea pig? I'm trying to imagine a rabbit half the size of a guinea pig, she must be tiny!!

Tam

Hi it just means that the rabbit is becoming sexually mature and wanting babies - unfortunatley this happens with does, I had my two together for a while but as soon as one hit 4 months the mounting started, and then came the biting :( I decided it wasn't fair on the poor rabbit who she was subjecting to this and moved the trouble causer...they were btoh much happier, and I suppose after they get over being apart they will be too :)

Tamsin said:
Is it a very small rabbit or a giant guinea pig? I'm trying to imagine a rabbit half the size of a guinea pig, she must be tiny!!

:lol: Definatly a bitta both :lol: Last time I took the pigs the vet she weighed them, then re-weighed them, she was shocked at how much they weighed, and said that in her 24 yrs experience had never seen a pig so big - and that was the smaller of the two! And as for Ollie, she's no bigger than an adult males clenched fist - she's very iccle!!

anyways... Ollie's new hutch has arrived today and she's all snuggled into it now! She's happy sitting in her hay-rack munchin, and the pigs glad of a bit of rest! :D Thanx for the advise peeps, you've been great!

Back