• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis for over a month :(

Nic.

Warren Scout
Hello

On 31st October my rabbit stopped eating. He had a heart tilt, kept falling over and struggled to lift his head. He was treated for EC and an ear infection. I took him to two different vets (one thought E.C more likely, the other ear infection but the 2nd vet had him treated for both things). To begin with he was being syringe fed multiple times a day and through the night, I was waking up every few hours to care for him for weeks and hired a vet nurse to come in during the day when j was at work. Hes now doing alot better in himself but still wont eat pellets. He will run up to the pen when I wake up like he's feeling greedy but won't eat when I put anything down. He will eat greens, treats, hay, plantain etc but only the odd pellet. Occasionally I wake up and he's eaten a whole portion but that's maybe once a week. He ate a portion of mashed pellets over 24 hours yesterday which is much more than usual - he may not eat anymore for 3/4 days. He lost considerable weight to begin with and has gained most back now but is still underweight and I'm worried because it's been so long and I think his poos may be getting slightly smaller. He seems a little less enthusiastic to eat greens and hay than he was. On the last visit the vet said she could feel some roughness on his back teeth but it wasn't there the previous week and she thinks it's unlikely it's bothering him. She's reluctant to give him anaesthetic until he's completely recovered but I'm now worried his teeth are hurting and he's going to get worse instead of better. He also had a bout of stasis over the summer which lasted a couple of weeks and the vet (a different one again) thought it was teeth related but he suddenly recobered. I'd also love if he was eating by Christmas so I can go home instead of staying in my flat alone hundreds of miles away from my family haha but obviously that's not the biggest concern. Should I ask the vet for the dental next week or try and hold out until after Christmas? Also the vet has said no xray is necessary as she thinks it'll be the back teeth, does that sound ok? They are a rwaf practice.

Thanks for any help, this has been a very stressful month!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hello

On 31st October my rabbit stopped eating. He had a heart tilt, kept falling over and struggled to lift his head. He was treated for EC and an ear infection. I took him to two different vets (one thought E.C more likely, the other ear infection but the 2nd vet had him treated for both things). To begin with he was being syringe fed multiple times a day and through the night, I was waking up every few hours to care for him for weeks and hired a vet nurse to come in during the day when j was at work. Hes now doing alot better in himself but still wont eat pellets. He will run up to the pen when I wake up like he's feeling greedy but won't eat when I put anything down. He will eat greens, treats, hay, plantain etc but only the odd pellet. Occasionally I wake up and he's eaten a whole portion but that's maybe once a week. He ate a portion of mashed pellets over 24 hours yesterday which is much more than usual - he may not eat anymore for 3/4 days. He lost considerable weight to begin with and has gained most back now but is still underweight and I'm worried because it's been so long and I think his poos may be getting slightly smaller. He seems a little less enthusiastic to eat greens and hay than he was. On the last visit the vet said she could feel some roughness on his back teeth but it wasn't there the previous week and she thinks it's unlikely it's bothering him. She's reluctant to give him anaesthetic until he's completely recovered but I'm now worried his teeth are hurting and he's going to get worse instead of better. He also had a bout of stasis over the summer which lasted a couple of weeks and the vet (a different one again) thought it was teeth related but he suddenly recobered. I'd also love if he was eating by Christmas so I can go home instead of staying in my flat alone hundreds of miles away from my family haha but obviously that's not the biggest concern. Should I ask the vet for the dental next week or try and hold out until after Christmas? Also the vet has said no xray is necessary as she thinks it'll be the back teeth, does that sound ok? They are a rwaf practice.

Thanks for any help, this has been a very stressful month!

Is your Rabbit receiving adequate analgesic cover? IME a Rabbit with ear pain will not eat hard food (ie pellets) as it hurts even more to do so. IME Metacam alone is not sufficient, even at maximum dose. Tramadol has been required to get on top of the pain.

What medication is your Rabbit currently on and at what dose ?

Personally I would want to avoid a GA/Dental at this stage if at all possible. But if it is done I would also want skull radiographs/CT scan to ascertain if there is infection in the middle ear. Some further information on the following links :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...-are-caused-by-central-or-peripheral-disease/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

I hope that your Rabbit will soon be feeling a lot better xx

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny. When Frosty went into stasis it was due to dental pain, he was on metacam and gut meds to get him eating again and then once he was a little better in himself we had the dental done.

Is your Rabbit receiving adequate analgesic cover? IME a Rabbit with ear pain will not eat hard food (ie pellets) as it hurts even more to do so. IME Metacam alone is not sufficient, even at maximum dose. Tramadol has been required to get on top of the pain.

What medication is your Rabbit currently on and at what dose ?

Personally I would want to avoid a GA/Dental at this stage if at all possible. But if it is done I would also want skull radiographs/CT scan to ascertain if there is infection in the middle ear. Some further information on the following links :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...-are-caused-by-central-or-peripheral-disease/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

I hope that your Rabbit will soon be feeling a lot better xx
Thank you so much for the reply. He was on metacam 0.6ml twice a day (maximum dose for him), he's been reduced to 0.4 twice a day now, also co-trimoxazole 0.45ml once daily, emeprid 0.2 twice a day and ranitadine 0.5 twice a day. He's just come off baytril 0.6 once a day for around 3-4 weeks and Panacur for 28 days. I'll ask about the increased pain medication, I feel like they might be reluctant as they wanted me to decrease the metacam for a while before I actually did. I've asked about a CT scan but they don't think it's necessary as they could see the redness by looking down his ear and since starting antibiotics the redness has disappeared and he's improved drastically so they think they're on the right path with treatment. Also the nearest vet that has a CT scanner is quite far away and I don't have a way of getting there so I'm not sure how I'd go about figuring out the logistics of that unless there was a dire emergency. Would an x-ray be beneficial at all? I'm considering asking them to xray him just to check it's not his teeth if he does end up having them burred. He is eating hard treats such as fenugreek crunchies but I'm sure they are too tempting for him to resist. He won't even really eat mashed pellets which is why I thought perhaps he had become fussy with all the treats and variety of foods I've been offering but I hadn't considered he might still be in pain actually.

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny. When Frosty went into stasis it was due to dental pain, he was on metacam and gut meds to get him eating again and then once he was a little better in himself we had the dental done.
Thank you! He actually is very well in himself. The post is probably a little misleading because he sounds quite poorly still but he's almost entirely back to his old self in every way but his diet! But I suppose that's the biggest indicator that they're not feeling well.

It sounds like it's just the pellets he doesn't want to eat so as long as he is eating hay etc I wouldn't worry too much. He will go back to eating his pellets when he is ready to do so. Did he eat the pellets when he was on pain relief? Does he have a bowl or bottle?

Thank you! He actually is very well in himself. The post is probably a little misleading because he sounds quite poorly still but he's almost entirely back to his old self in every way but his diet! But I suppose that's the biggest indicator that they're not feeling well.

Frosty was the same after his dental, and he also got quite spoilt and would wait to be hand fed. He would only eat when I was with him, and that’s when I decided to get him a friend. He’s never been happier and now eats lots of hay :love:

Frosty was the same after his dental, and he also got quite spoilt and would wait to be hand fed. He would only eat when I was with him, and that’s when I decided to get him a friend. He’s never been happier and now eats lots of hay :love:
I've actually just got Fred a friend but so far they hate eachother! Was hoping to start the bonding process soon but that's on hold until he's fit and well. Originally thought the stasis was just caused by his extreme anger at the sight of another rabbit haha

It sounds like it's just the pellets he doesn't want to eat so as long as he is eating hay etc I wouldn't worry too much. He will go back to eating his pellets when he is ready to do so. Did he eat the pellets when he was on pain relief? Does he have a bowl or bottle?
There was about 3 days when he ate all his pellets (albeit slowly) but not conaistently no! I'm only worried because it's hard to make sure he's eating the right amount without pellets. He's never been a big hay eater so he's been eating some herbs (which he's also not that fussed on) and then lots of readigrass which I know isn't the best for them. Growing fresh grass at the moment but that'll take a couple of weeks. He has a water bowl usually, just put in a bottle when he was getting his head in his water constantly but still prefers the bowl

CT scan would likely require sedation.
Perhaps an xray and dental could be done while he is still well.
Jane suggested different pain meds, which may be worth trying. Ear infections cannot always be seen by looking in the ear.

I asked about other pain meds and the vet said to put the metacam dose back up which I did and he's back to eating everything but pellets again and seems his usual self. we've scheduled a dental for Friday as the vet seems sure he's just in pain from his teeth and doesn't want to risk him going back into stasis but i'm so nervous about it and on the verge of cancelling and waiting till after Christmas. He's still on antibiotics and gut meds (he had a very long course but not showing any signs of illness), I'm so worried this is going to knock him back so soon after his infection, the vet thinks it's better not to wait though. She said they won't x-ray unless they think it needs doing when they're doing the dental because he seems better. I tried to ask for the x-ray but they actually seem reluctant so maybe he is completely cured and I'm just fussing over nothing. I'm also worrying that the dental is unnecessary because he is eating hard treats and won't eat mashed pellets either so perhaps he's just gone off them with all the new treats in his life recently! Do I listen to the vet and do the dental or put it off till after Christmas? His poo is still small-ish so I don't think he's eating correctly without the pellets but he is eating a good amount from what I can tell.

If it is dental related waiting may result in soft tissue damage.

This is true, Frosty’s spurs left him with ulcers on either side of his tongue which caused more of a problem than the spurs themselves. Finicky eating is very typical of a dental issue. I would always follow my vets advice, personally.

Ok, I will do, thanks! I've just registered with them so not 100% sure how much I trust them yet but they're the best I could find (also recommended by the RWAF) just my last vet was so good that I can't find anyone that compares so I'm in a constant state of panic that they've given me the wrong advice haha.

Hi, my 6 year old rabbit is experiencing early signs of gut stasis, he’s still passing poops, but only ate a few of his pellets & hay yesterday & today, my new vet that i just saw today said it’s because of the spurs in his mouth is hitting his gum so that could be the reason why she recommends a dental once his gut is movibg properly again, right now i’m giving him critical care & fibreplex. I was wondering which gut meds did your rabbit get & if it was injected or given in a bottle or both? As i have an appointment with my new vet practice & i don’t know which meds they are going to give him, the vet i saw today isn’t gunna be in tomorrow :(

Last edited:
Hi, my 6 year old rabbit is experiencing early signs of gut stasis, he’s still passing poops, but only ate a few of his pellets & hay yesterday & today, my new vet that i just saw today said it’s because of the spurs in his mouth is hitting his gum so that could be the reason why she recommends a dental once his gut is movibg properly again, right now i’m giving him critical care & fibreplex. I was wondering which gut meds did your rabbit get & if it was injected or given in a bottle or both? As i have an appointment with my new vet practice & i don’t know which meds they are going to give him, the vet i saw today isn’t gunna be in tomorrow :(
Fred's meds are all oral. He's on Ranitadine/zantac and Emeprid/metaclop which I think are the common ones. You might want to get some painkillers too such as metacam/loxicom as stasis is painful and so are tooth Spurs. Good luck!

Fred's meds are all oral. He's on Ranitadine/zantac and Emeprid/metaclop which I think are the common ones. You might want to get some painkillers too such as metacam/loxicom as stasis is painful and so are tooth Spurs. Good luck!

I agree pain meds are important. Make sure bunny is drinking because you may need to give fluids. Motility are usually oral.

Back