• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanut had a whole row of teeth out! :O

Maddie220790

Young Bun
So following on from my post earlier in the week about Peanut choking.

Took her back to the vets after the antibiotics as they hadn't made a difference to whatever was in her throat (but hopefully safeguarded her lungs!).
Vet had a look with the light and couldn't see anything but noticed an abscess on a gap in her teeth (which she gets a lot).

Came home from this visit yesterday... straight in the cage and eating! So clearly when the vet put the light into her throat it dislodged whatever it was!

Took her back today for dental and vet removed a whole row of her back teeth!!!!

Has anyone else's bunny had this?? Have they been able to eat okay??

Got to keep up the norocillin as there is a lump on her tongue the same side.. vet has said this may be where the infection from the abscess has spread. If it isn't... it may be something bad :(
But for now we are home! And Pea is looking bright!

Poor Peanut :D I'm so pleased that she's home and looking bright though. She's really a tough little bunny isn't she :love:

I've no experience of removal of teeth in bunnies, but sending her loads of vibes.

She really is! The vet always says she is so strong and sweet natured. She responds so well to anaesthetic!
Just hope we can go a few months without a vet trip now!

Thank you! :D

oh bless her, what a little trooper, really hope she feels more comfortable without those pesky teeth :love:

peanut/health issues

So following on from my post earlier in the week about Peanut choking.

Took her back to the vets after the antibiotics as they hadn't made a difference to whatever was in her throat (but hopefully safeguarded her lungs!).
Vet had a look with the light and couldn't see anything but noticed an abscess on a gap in her teeth (which she gets a lot).

Came home from this visit yesterday... straight in the cage and eating! So clearly when the vet put the light into her throat it dislodged whatever it was!

Took her back today for dental and vet removed a whole row of her back teeth!!!!

Has anyone else's bunny had this?? Have they been able to eat okay??

Got to keep up the norocillin as there is a lump on her tongue the same side.. vet has said this may be where the infection from the abscess has spread. If it isn't... it may be something bad :(
But for now we are home! And Pea is looking bright!
dear maddie220790,-did the dvm give discharge instructions.??-if peanut cannot chew grasses,we have a problem.--because rabbits are strictly herbivores,and unless the diet includes serious amount of grasses the stomach muscles will loose[tonus]-weaken,which means may go-into stasis.--the med [norocillin]-is not listed good/bad.??--as far as the choking-if it is due to eating,note that rabbits donot have the stomach muscles for throwing up so anything in and swallowed must go all the way through..and with bad teeth it is possible that is what happened.--,rabbits are prone to abscesses are they can be visible-or-not.-[aerobic or anaerobic]-which means oxygen required or not to expotentially multiply the bacteria,--but with antibiotics there must be a probotic given because the gi tract-[flora]- will have to be replenished-for cecotropes/proper poops,--ask the dvm about [chloramphenicol]for the abscess ,please discuss this all with peanuts dvm and view http://www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::love::wave:

Poor Peanut. I hope the Vet will have arranged lots of follow up care as Peanut will need very regular monitoring. Rabbit's teeth grow continuously, so the teeth opposite all the ones removed may now grow too long/at the wrong angle/develop spurs as the dental occlusion will all be out of kilter.

0ER2aVF.jpg

Normal occlusion

CT9NLBH.png

These links may be useful to read :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/MolarExtractRabbit.htm

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/me...urse/3-complications-of-dental-procedures.pdf

Poor Peanut. I hope the Vet will have arranged lots of follow up care as Peanut will need very regular monitoring. Rabbit's teeth grow continuously, so the teeth opposite all the ones removed may now grow too long/at the wrong angle/develop spurs as the dental occlusion will all be out of kilter.

0ER2aVF.jpg

Normal occlusion

CT9NLBH.png

These links may be useful to read :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/MolarExtractRabbit.htm

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/me...urse/3-complications-of-dental-procedures.pdf
dear jack,s-jane,-your presentation[posted]-is absolutely great-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Update - Peanut is doing fab! Eating well, drinking and pooping well! Back to wanting cuddles and everything!!

Still having a problem with the needles blowing off the penicillin syringes -_- even the vet said it happens to them sometimes!
Tried warming them in my hands and drawing them back then pushing air out and then injecting and still sometimes happens!
Going to see if they'll give me a change of needles when I ask for a replacement for one that blew tonight!

Update - Peanut is doing fab! Eating well, drinking and pooping well! Back to wanting cuddles and everything!!

Still having a problem with the needles blowing off the penicillin syringes -_- even the vet said it happens to them sometimes!
Tried warming them in my hands and drawing them back then pushing air out and then injecting and still sometimes happens!
Going to see if they'll give me a change of needles when I ask for a replacement for one that blew tonight!

A change of needles is always essential, IME. Also, I am sure you know that it is really important to completely clean up any of the Penicillin that has gone onto Peanut's skin/fur to avoid him (or any other Rabbit) ingesting it. Sending Peanut lots more vibes xx

This has happened to me in the past and so what I do now is to hold the syringe at the needle join part with my left hand, whilst using my right hand to inject. You do of course need a rabbit who will sit still whilst you do this and I find this is more likely with the rabbit sitting on the floor.

Great update.
I had needle clogging with bicillan. Vet even gave me larger needles to help get it out of bottle and only a bit smaller to inject.
Vet may have syringes where needles screw on , though they may be larger and not not as good for maasuring small amounts.

Last edited:
A change of needles is always essential, IME. Also, I am sure you know that it is really important to completely clean up any of the Penicillin that has gone onto Peanut's skin/fur to avoid him (or any other Rabbit) ingesting it. Sending Peanut lots more vibes xx
Good to know.

Back