• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering an elderly rabbit?

Oh my goodness. So my neighbour has had a rabbit for years and it has been breaking my heart. He's all alone, tiny hutch, never bothered with. I gave them my spare run quite some years ago and at first they used it but now don't bother. He probably went out once this summer. I got a hutch is not enough car sticker, gave leaflets but nothing worked. He even escaped a few times and always came to see my bunnies. [emoji24] Anyway tonight, miracle text came through DO WE WANT HIM! Now I've just bonded a group of 5 so putting a new one in is not going to work right now but oh my gosh I cannot say no. He has the most awful life. They don't bother with him at all. So I've said I'll take him. I could try bond with mine but not ideal. Told my neighbour he needed vaccinating and she's offered to give me the money for it at least so he's getting his vhd2 on thursday then will take him for his next one in a few weeks. I have a friend who may take him, get a shed etc if I can't keep. I know he's at least 7 as that is when the moved in next door with him however my neighbour is saying he's 10 now... can they still be neutered this old?? Would love to get him sorted and paired up. I've said yes regardless just to get him out of there. Just worried regarding neutering with his age.... Please help, I'm really struggling on what to do for the best.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness. So my neighbour has had a rabbit for years and it has been breaking my heart. He's all alone, tiny hutch, never bothered with. I gave them my spare run quite some years ago and at first they used it but now don't bother. He probably went out once this summer. I got a hutch is not enough car sticker, gave leaflets but nothing worked. He even escaped a few times and always came to see my bunnies. [emoji24] Anyway tonight, miracle text came through DO WE WANT HIM! Now I've just bonded a group of 5 so putting a new one in is not going to work right now but oh my gosh I cannot say no. He has the most awful life. They don't bother with him at all. So I've said I'll take him. I could try bond with mine but not ideal. Told my neighbour he needed vaccinating and she's offered to give me the money for it at least so he's getting his vhd2 on thursday then will take him for his next one in a few weeks. I have a friend who may take him, get a shed etc if I can't keep. I know he's at least 7 as that is when the moved in next door with him however my neighbour is saying he's 10 now... can they still be neutered this old?? Would love to get him sorted and paired up. I've said yes regardless just to get him out of there. Just worried regarding neutering with his age.... Please help, I'm really struggling on what to do for the best.

I dont think the decision can be based on age alone. IMO he'd need a full work up- bloods, chest Xray, ECG first . I have had a 10 year old buck castrated and he was fine, going on to live with a companion for about 3 years. But as I said, age cannot be the only criteria used to judge each individual case.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do xx

Years ago I had a 10 year bunny neutered because of a growth on his privates. He survived, though it was not something I would have done if not for the growth.
Your vet will want to do blood and other tests to determine the level of risk.
Your neighbors bunny spent years intact so I wonder how much his behavior would change.

I just saw Janes post and she said it best.

Last edited:
Oh really?! I didn't even think about blood tests having to be done. This is going to be one costly bun! Cant leave him there though, I really have no other choice. Need to turn his life around. :( Thank you both x

I have him, look at th state of his hutch. :cry:
2be605364f2031215c1e462f9ffaf261.jpg
cf73deec0e5cf38077f788940f00c243.jpg

so heartbreaking. You had to take him, I'm so glad you did. Even if he lives alone his life will be heaven compared to that. Feeling really angry your neighbour keeps him like that.

so heartbreaking. You had to take him, I'm so glad you did. Even if he lives alone his life will be heaven compared to that. Feeling really angry your neighbour keeps him like that.

This is exactly what I am thinking. Poor bunny. Heartbreaking.

Back