• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After choking care :(

Maddie220790

Young Bun
Hi,

I've posted a few times about my little Peanut as she has been through a few health issues bless her :(

Last night, I noticed she sort of gagged on a piece of food and lifted her paws to her face. As she has dental issues and has regular dentals I thought she might've just caught herself wrong but after she hadn't eaten again by 2am I got really worried and tried to syringe feed her as I have done in the past.
She started choking and I very quickly looked up how to stop a bunny choking and did the 'bunny heimlich'. So much mucus came out of her nose and I wiped it, gave her some painkillers and she calmed down a lot.

Today I took her to the vets and they couldn't see anything stuck so gave me some antibiotics in case she has scratched the back of her throat and said that if she doesn't respond well to those and painkillers by Wednesday to take her back and they'll put her under anaesthetic which I hate to see if there's any obstruction still.

She is still making strange movements when I syringe her meds and the little bit of food I've managed to get into her. Like pulling her head back into her body slightly like it pains her to swallow. I'm so worried about choking her again. :(

Just posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if they have, pleaaaase tell me something positive!
So scared to lose her :(

Hi,

I've posted a few times about my little Peanut as she has been through a few health issues bless her :(

Last night, I noticed she sort of gagged on a piece of food and lifted her paws to her face. As she has dental issues and has regular dentals I thought she might've just caught herself wrong but after she hadn't eaten again by 2am I got really worried and tried to syringe feed her as I have done in the past.
She started choking and I very quickly looked up how to stop a bunny choking and did the 'bunny heimlich'. So much mucus came out of her nose and I wiped it, gave her some painkillers and she calmed down a lot.

Today I took her to the vets and they couldn't see anything stuck so gave me some antibiotics in case she has scratched the back of her throat and said that if she doesn't respond well to those and painkillers by Wednesday to take her back and they'll put her under anaesthetic which I hate to see if there's any obstruction still.

She is still making strange movements when I syringe her meds and the little bit of food I've managed to get into her. Like pulling her head back into her body slightly like it pains her to swallow. I'm so worried about choking her again. :(

Just posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if they have, pleaaaase tell me something positive!
So scared to lose her :(

In all honesty I think the Vet should have admitted her. If she is unable to swallow then syringe feeding could be very risky as she may aspirate the feed. Also, the Vet should really be listening to her lungs several times a day after a choking episode. At least she is on abx which will hopefully help should aspiration pneumonia occur.

Personally I would contact the Vet again at the earliest opportunity to discuss having her admitted for more intensive care and monitoring. Depending on how she is coping she may also need oxygen therapy.

I really hope that she will recover xx

I thought they would too...
I took her to my usual bunny savvy vet but it was a different vet that saw her.
He listened to her lungs and said they sounded good and that she looked bright enough so he wasn't immediately concerned.
She's not wincing as much as she was when it seemed that something was lodged but both the vet and I thought it might've scratched her a bit which is why she is still looking uncomfortable when swallowing but is able to.

I'm sorry this has happened, it's very upsetting to see! Although not a rabbit, one of my rats choked last week so much so he couldn't breathe. Once the obstruction was cleared he was on oxygen, he has since had a course of anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. However he's got pneumonia so he is on treatment for that. I would check with a vet, but he is having nebuliser sessions too and we are considering an X ray to check his lungs etc if he's not improving soon

Sending loads of vibes for Peanut. I hope she's OK. Well done with your prompt action with the heimlich manoevre.

Back