• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cheeky is going downhill fast . help and advice needed

gina paul

Mama Doe
Cheeky has started to go downhill in the last few weeks . He is still eating (just) and his eyes are all runny and his mouth has gone all scabby again . The vet said that his teeth are fine and that its the snuffles infection , although he is still on the baytril . He said that cheeky would have bad bouts and times when he would feel better . He still runs about like a dafty but at times I look at him and he seems sad . i,m bathing his eyes and keeping his mouth clean so he is not uncomfortable and I really don,t mind nursing him but i,m wondering if he is better being pts . I can,t beleive that I would consider that as I adore him but I can,t help but feel he is suffering . My vet who I trust totally said that he isn,t and thats its just the way that the pasturella infection works .
Last week he didn,t eat for two days so I took him to the vets . The vet asked me to keep a close eye on him and then the next day he ate like a horse . I,ve been working alot lately and running about like a blue bummed flea , do you think that he has been pining for me as he seems to perk up when I,ve spent alot of time with him . Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone can think of any other treatment for my little man then I would love to hear it.

Gina, sorry can't offer any advice but feel the pain you're going through. If he's fighting the infection and I would trust the Vets opiniion, then I don't think PTS is an option. Hang in there buddy!! We're praying for you.

Oh Dear - I'm sorry to hear little Cheeky is going through the Mill a little at the mo.

Its always difficult when Bunnies have infections as they have good and bad days. Buffy had a bad bout earlier in the year - she lost so much weight and looked so sad and sorry for herself and now months later she's like a new bunny again. I think with infections it can be a long slog to get bunny in tip top and feeling happy again.
I know some of the folks on here will have some more advice for you perhaps in what you might be able to give Cheeky to help boost energy - some folks recommend herbs which can be given to help the imune system fight the infection so I'm sure you'll have some more advice in this area.

In the Meantime - Bunny hugs to Little Cheeky - hope your bunny soon feels better.

It's already been said above, and I totally agree. Bunnies seem quite scary when they're sick, coz they're so wee...

Trust me, as a nurse, I know that, when a vet says your bunny's doing good, the bunny is. I know it's agony watching any animal be sick, but trust your vet...

Hang in there, I know how hard it is seeing sick animals!

Sorry Gina..can give no advice...but my heart says hang on in there as well. I am sure the experts have and will give you good advice but I would agree to trust your Vet

Love from

Would it be possible for you to find a rescue bunny that already has snuffles to keep Cheeky company? I realise that that would mean extra vets bills for you, but if he's pining during the day, it might make him more willing to fight the infection if he's got a friend 'to live for'.

Hey Gina, Sorry to hear Cheey isn't doing so well. I can understand how you feel having been there myself before and being there now. You know Cheeky better than anyone else and what you need to consider is whether he's ready to give up?????? I personally don't think he is.
As long as he still show interest in food, snuggles and has a wee run about and he looks happy to you then he's ok. He's probably feeling very fed up just now but by the sounds of it he is loving you looking after him. Do your best to make him comfy, teddy friends, nice soft blankies, a cuddle cup (if he fits in it) or a hooded cat bed, they just love to curl up in them!
As long as Cheeky fights you have to fight too. Wrap him up in a blanket and sit him on your lap at nights, hand feed him veggies etc just make him feel extra special and if you do all these things already then ehhh pass lol.
My Harley has the snuffles too and I think he's away to have a bad bout which is making him feel pretty miserable, so I can only guess Cheeky is too.
Its such a cliche but you really do know when they have had enough. He will just give you a look and you will know.
Hope Cheeky starts to pick up soon for you.

Angela

I came home from work and his food bowl is empty , he scoffed the lot . good wee man . Cheeky isn,t able to have a companion as we have a dog and cheeky has actually bonded with my dog toby , they spend hours lying together in the livingroom . There is always someone at home too so he is always the centre of attention , which is so typical of him lol , another bunny would not be welcomed by my dog toby , we tried it but toby would not accept another bun as cheeky is toby,s pal , pathetic eh ? but cute . I will keep going as long as cheeky wants to and I suppose I will know when "that time " comes as will cheeky , hopefully tho , i,ll never have to make that choice and fate will deal its own hand and he will die peacefully and naturally .
Anyway on a brighter note , he,s really chirpy tonight , and he has already tried to hump my arm . :oops: so he must be feeling better
I didn,t get my bed to myself last night either . there was me , my otherhalf , toby and cheeky all on the bed . When I woke up cheeky was lying curled around my head , better get out of that habit eh ?

Oh wow! that is GREAT news, so glad that Cheeky is being..well..cheeky again I guess :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You must be so relieved, give him a nose rub from me.
Best wishes, and hope you all have a lovely and above all HEALTHY Christmas. :D

Angela, you gave some really good advice there for bunnies who are feeling a bit low..human cuddles and interactions certainly go a long way to helping a bunny through a bad patch :D

So glad he's brighter - he must have known he was worrying him mum.

I'm sure there's nothing nicer than waking up to a lovely bunny wrapped around your head :wink:

gina paul said:
. there was me , my otherhalf , toby and cheeky all on the bed . When I woke up cheeky was lying curled around my head , better get out of that habit eh ?

Awwwwwwwwwwwww I want a head hugging bunny :lol: bet that kept your head toasty warm!

Angela

Awwww, I'm so happy Cheeky's ok!

I want a bunny on my bed...but I know I'll crush the poor thing, so they're staying firmly away from me when I slumber...

Awwww, I'm so happy Cheeky's ok!

I want a bunny on my bed...but I know I'll crush the poor thing, so they're staying firmly away from me when I slumber...

Back