• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

CT scan vs Xrays

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Does anybun know how long a bunny is under GA for for a CT vs an xray?

Does anyone know if I could get diagnosistics for elongated roots via an xray?

It's not a money worry as Dennis is insured with a 2500 limit and also I have been saving Dennis his old age pension. I am thinking if he could be under GA not as long for xrays I would rather do that?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

CT will require a longer anaesthetic time. I believe with multiple views X-rays should be able to spot elongated roots/other poss dental probs fine. Best of luck with him whatever you decide

Does anybun know how long a bunny is under GA for for a CT vs an xray?

Does anyone know if I could get diagnosistics for elongated roots via an xray?

It's not a money worry as Dennis is insured with a 2500 limit and also I have been saving Dennis his old age pension. I am thinking if he could be under GA not as long for xrays I would rather do that?

dear loobers25,-this may not be proper perspective,but I have had mri,cat scans,xrays.--I was not under ga for either..-however with a rabbit-facial radiogragh-for dental,then[GA] going forward for any dental work,etc.--a cat scan[,mri]-with color-would take longer to complete,but again this is whole body diagnostics,not dental.--I would go with the facial radiogragh/dental.--definitely less tramatic for dennis..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

How is Dennis at the vets? Do you think he would stay still to have an x-ray without GA?

How is Dennis at the vets? Do you think he would stay still to have an x-ray without GA?
I thought he would but he was getting a bit frisky on the consult table so probably not

The difference in what you can see from a CT scan in comparison to an X-ray is honestly incredible, one of my bunnies has been having diagnostics for months and months and the CT scan was the final thing left to try. My goodness I wish we had done it first! The findings were hideous but totally expected, it almost made me want to haha every one of my buns scanned, just to see what was going on in all of their little bodies! I would Defo go with CT scan if I was you x

Oh, edited to add that at £1k a go and no insurance (I only take in oldies or poorlies so uninsurable), I wont be having all of them scanned ‘just because’ :lol:

Sorry, me again. To reassure you, my bun has a collapsed trachea, bottom of lungs are completely solidified, top of lungs filled with an unidentifiable foam matter, and a narrowed windpipe, and he still survived the GA required for a CT and endoscopy x

They might be able to burrito him to xray. Rudey had a conscious xray as easy enough to view abdominal area & I imagine teeth would be the same. Only issue is clarity might be lost if he moves at all. Whereas my vet considered xraying Mouse more difficult as she would need sedation & I reckon that relates to having to put her legs in the right place etc

You can trust Uncle John to choose the best option for him I'm sure. I don't think the amount of GA needed would be anything like if they'd need for operative work, under these circumstances its more sedation rather than being knocked out. Will Maple go too? xx

after reading the Bees experiences of scans & given he has insurance that sounds the better option, more likely to be conclusive xx

One of my rabbits has had a conscious CT scan, it was reassuring to hear that he is a very healthy rabbit as although the scan was to look at his eye they also looked at the whole body to make sure everything else was ok. It was covered by insurance and they paid out with no issues (petplan).

after reading the Bees experiences of scans & given he has insurance that sounds the better option, more likely to be conclusive xx

I agree actually. Also I've just looked again at your other thread - what are the 'other investigations' in addition to the CT scan that Uncle John has recommended? What's the reason for the overnight stay?

When Fudgie had her CT scan she was put under sedation rather than a full GA. They took a nasal swab as well and they had to increase the sedation at one point because she was getting very resistant to it, and she still came through with no problems. The fact she was aware enough to fight the swab makes me think the sedation can't be that heavy. If they're just doing a scan they probably won't need to use as much sedation as Fudgie ended up having.

I'm also of the opinion that the CT scan would be the better option because they will be able to see so much more than with an x ray. Plus he would only need to go under once. If they do an x ray and don't find any answers they might want to put him under again for a CT scan at a later date anyway.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your helpful replies. By other investigations omi they are going to check his back molars for spurs and put dye in his eye to check for block tear ducts and flush them if need be. I think he was thinking whatever he could do there and then was going to sort whilst Dennis was under for example if he needed a tooth out

Dr Custard is going for the sleepover too. The reason they are staying overnight is because he either wanted them 8 in the morning or admitted the night before for the investigations in the morning. So the investigations are not over night but they are there ready for the morning. I thought it might be a lot to travel there, get proded and poked then drive back all in one day for them. So at least they get a sleep after the travels if they are admitted night before

Last edited:
Thank you for all your helpful replies. By other investigations omi they are going to check his back molars for spurs and put dye in his eye to check for block tear ducts and flush them if need be. I think he was thinking whatever he could do there and then was going to sort whilst Dennis was under for example if he needed a tooth out

Dr Custard is going for the sleepover too. The reason they are staying overnight is because he either wanted them 8 in the morning or admitted the night before for the investigations in the morning. So the investigations are not over night but they are there ready for the morning. I thought it might be a lot to travel there, get proded and poked then drive back all in one day for them. So at least they get a sleep after the travels if they are admitted night before

Ah, that all makes sense :) Also going the night before will mean that he's first there in the morning, so hopefully will be done early if not first. Then you'll be able to pick them up earlier.

Sorry to be negative and force my woes upon you all but I am really suffering with anxiety about this while situation. I am worried I am putting him through too much, with the recent fireworks and vet trip. Then to have all that stuff done and a longer drive there. I really don't know what to do. After loosing Toby in the car I really can't handle all of this

Sorry to be negative and force my woes upon you all but I am really suffering with anxiety about this while situation. I am worried I am putting him through too much, with the recent fireworks and vet trip. Then to have all that stuff done and a longer drive there. I really don't know what to do. After loosing Toby in the car I really can't handle all of this

Dennis is a tough little thing and you are doing the right thing I'm sure. He will be fine and he's in good hands once he's there :love:

If you do not feel happy about going through with it and Dennis is fine within himself bar the runny eyes then you could postpone the diagnostics. But you are still likely to feel anxious at a later date, understandably. You could give JC a call and talk with him again about your worries, he is bound to understand after what happened to little Toby. Ask what further treatment options may be achieved after diagnostics. For example tooth root elongation cannot be cured and treatment is 'management' of the condition- treating the symptoms-ie regular dentals, eye bathing, treating any secondary bacterial infections etc.

Back