• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice and consideration

Hello
So after much research, we are looking to get a house rabbit in May 2020 (after a preplanned big holiday).

I have some specific questions if may?

We have 3 indoor house cats, I have been reading many articles specifically on how you would introduce etc. Any specific tips appreciated and whehter you started with most timid or dominent? Also with this in mind are there any particular species of rabbit that would fit best?

Ideal would be a lop earred. Part of me considered a giant to hold his own, however believe these need a lot of space.

Rabbit home - we have a spare bedroom, my preference is that the rabbit is in a contained safe environment during the day. I would like the cats and rabbit to be able to see each to lessen the sacred ness of closing a door to the room. Would a 48inch dog crate be good for this? To ensure more room, if I could fit it, 2 x 48 inch crates back to back to give some space while there?

At the moment, it is sourcing the right home for the rabbit during the day, that I am in two minds about.

You haven't had many answers, and I am unable to answer most of your queries, but a dog cage is much too small to contain any rabbit. They need a large area as a home, at least 60 sq ft. Our buns have a bunny prooffed room to live in
I hope you manage to sort something suitable

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

A rabbit would get lonely on his own if you are out at work all day. There are some good ideas for an indoor set-up on Pinterest Rabbit Home Ideas.

I agree with Tonibun - most rabbits are much happier as bonded male/female pairs. Housing is a big consideration as, whatever the breed, all rabbits need a lot of space to be able to exercise 24 hours a day. I think there are some ideas in the Housing section. As you say, sorting out the correct/adequate accommodation is the most important thing and when you are confident you can provide that, then you could start thinking of the rabbits you would like. Hope that makes sense. I hope someone else will see your thread and be able to perhaps offer more help.

Back