• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone tell me how to work out dog loxicom dosages for weight?

Graciee

Staff member
I know this is cheeky and people won't wanna say.. But Idk what to do, I'm taking Atticus to a vet, but I know he'll get the wrong dosage prescribed and he can't have vetergesic because of the reaction he had to it.. And my normal vet was too busy again to see him as an emergency... And I just know they'll weigh him and say yeaa give him 3kg worth of the cat metacam [emoji21][emoji21][emoji21][emoji21]

If I can get a dose, I'll talk to the vet about it and make sure they're happy, I'm just worried that we'll end up in a bad situation :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

My vets prescribe it quite low compared to many, but they are very good vets. I can't work out percentages but I know when my bunny is 2.8k for eg they are on o.28mls twice daily, so if he weighed 4.5k it'd be 0.45ml. Thats the dog one . Does that make sense? Vibes for your boy xx

I know this is cheeky and people won't wanna say.. But Idk what to do, I'm taking Atticus to a vet, but I know he'll get the wrong dosage prescribed and he can't have vetergesic because of the reaction he had to it.. And my normal vet was too busy again to see him as an emergency... And I just know they'll weigh him and say yeaa give him 3kg worth of the cat metacam [emoji21][emoji21][emoji21][emoji21]

If I can get a dose, I'll talk to the vet about it and make sure they're happy, I'm just worried that we'll end up in a bad situation :(

The dog Metacam is 1.5mg/ml which is 0.15mg/0.1ml. The dose rate my Vet uses is between 0.3mg/kg to 0.6mg/kg. In ml this equates to 0.2ml/kg to 0.4ml/kg

Sending vibes for Atticus x

My vets prescribe it quite low compared to many, but they are very good vets. I can't work out percentages but I know when my bunny is 2.8k for eg they are on o.28mls twice daily, so if he weighed 4.5k it'd be 0.45ml. Thats the dog one . Does that make sense? Vibes for your boy xx
He's about 3kg - see Clementine is 4.4kg and has 1ml twice a day

He's about 3kg - see Clementine is 4.4kg and has 1ml twice a day

so Clemmy (going purely on what I've noticed by what my vets have prescribed would be on 0.44 but twice daily so a total daily dose of 0.88ml compared to 1ml -not that different

The dog Metacam is 1.5mg/ml which is 0.15mg/0.1ml. The dose rate my Vet uses is between 0.3mg/kg to 0.6mg/kg. In ml this equates to 0.2ml/kg to 0.4ml/kg

Sending vibes for Atticus x

Oh Jane I could hug you to death rn..

So based on what you're saying.. Dog the dog one..

If we weights 3kg (this will obviously be checked)

On the low end it would be 0.6ml 2 x times a day and on the high end 1.2ml? Am I understanding that right?

This makes sense because apricot was 3.4kg and was prescribed something like 0. 86ml and Clementine is 4.4kg and gets 1ml.. So both in range of those you gave. And if its the cat one I'd need to times it by 3..

Ima show the vet this, I'm not coming away with 3kg on the cat syringe

so Clemmy (going purely on what I've noticed by what my vets have prescribed would be on 0.44 but twice daily so a total daily dose of 0.88ml compared to 1ml -not that different
Sorry the 1ml is twice a day so a lot more than what your vets would prescribe [emoji51]

Oh Jane I could hug you to death rn..

So based on what you're saying.. Dog the dog one..

If we weights 3kg (this will obviously be checked)

On the low end it would be 0.6ml 2 x times a day and on the high end 1.2ml? Am I understanding that right?

This makes sense because apricot was 3.4kg and was prescribed something like 0. 86ml and Clementine is 4.4kg and gets 1ml.. So both in range of those you gave. And if its the cat one I'd need to times it by 3..

Ima show the vet this, I'm not coming away with 3kg on the cat syringe

If you are doing 12 hourly dosing then usually the lower end of the dose range is used, so a 3kg Rabbit would probably be prescribed 0.6ml twice a day. Sometimes a higher dose may be prescribed twice a day, for a limited period and many Vets prescribe Zantac too, to protect the stomach from ulceration.

If you are doing 12 hourly dosing then usually the lower end of the dose range is used, so a 3kg Rabbit would probably be prescribed 0.6ml twice a day. Sometimes a higher dose may be prescribed twice a day, for a limited period and many Vets prescribe Zantac too, to protect the stomach from ulceration.

Yep that's perfect, thanks so much [emoji7]

That's OK, just hope Atticus will feel better soon xx
Same, I'ma get his butt shaved whilst I'm here, loads of poop stuck, yet he won't eat and no normal poop :(

I'm so worried about him, he's never like this, even with all his issues :( xx

Blood glucose... Different machines for different types of animals? True or false? Anyone? [emoji51]

Blood glucose... Different machines for different types of animals? True or false? Anyone? [emoji51]

Don't know for sure but doesn't make sense to me. @ FHB lectures for bunny owners people were chatting about the viability of bg monitoring machines you can buy cheaply & the only issue raised was how to get blood sample at home

It doesn't make sense to me either. Determination of blood glucose level should be calculated in the same way across all species, I would have thought.

Don't know for sure but doesn't make sense to me. @ FHB lectures for bunny owners people were chatting about the viability of bg monitoring machines you can buy cheaply & the only issue raised was how to get blood sample at home
Yea I'm going with bs.

Its 16.5 :(

They've clipped him, now bathing him? Idek.

Said to start oral loxicom tomorrow night.. As he's just had an injection... Idk how I feel about that..

And wanted to give him lactulose which I said no, and we're getting emeprid and cisapride instead Idk if that was a mistake or not tbh..

Also he's doing 1ml of dog loxicom x2 a day. He wanted to just once but I wasn't happy with that either... [emoji51] It's me - tough customer

Alright... Anyone know the emeprid dosages? [emoji849] He's 2.95kg

It doesn't make sense to me either. Determination of blood glucose level should be calculated in the same way across all species, I would have thought.
Exactly, I think it's bs.. I might get a machine for home

Back