• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the best way to clip nails

loobers25

Warren Veteran
With arthritis bunnies? Is it ok as normal? Will it hurt him if we burrito him? Usually the vet does it in about 5 seconds but even with a two man job it's a bit if a faff. Dennis has black claws so we use a torch!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've never attempted Treacles, she has such fluffy feet, and my eyesight isn't brilliant, so £10 visit to the vets is well worth it !

With arthritis bunnies? Is it ok as normal? Will it hurt him if we burrito him? Usually the vet does it in about 5 seconds but even with a two man job it's a bit if a faff. Dennis has black claws so we use a torch!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
dear loobers 25,-yes,bunz toenails are part of the foot[physiology],-never declaw a rabbit.--toenail trims is an art form-in itself ,dvm,s can make it look simple,-i am pleased to see your dvm uses a light[torch]--one must be prepared in the event there is some blood letting..rabbits in the wild trim/sharpen their nails by scratching trees,dirt,etc,--this is why domesticated bunz require scratching surfaces.-my bunz only got a nail trim when they couldnot keep them trimmed up.--.a burrito[towel wrap]-should be ok,bunz feel safer with a wrap.-however if there is massive grinding of the teeth,or-loud scream-[very painful].-stop--it,s not how long it takes its the quality of the trim.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

If he's burrito'ed how do you get to his claws? I struggle with Rudey's black claws, i got the vet to do them a few months ago & more recently took just a tiny bit. I like the method of putting a tiny bit of pressure on their claws twice & if they don't pull their foot back you're good to snip. As Denny is at the vets anyway I'd let Uncle John do it. My vets trim easily with all paws on the table, I have to hold them semi upright like a baby, making sure one arm is against their foot to stop it shaking.
I do it on my own

Back