• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Kim's making clicking noises

Kim was sitting on my knee getting a cuddle and I noticed she was making a funny noise every so often. It sounded a bit like "click-click"

At first I thought it ws her breathing (she is a bit wheezy) but I don't think it is. It sounds like it is coming from her mouth.

I can't see anything. I put her back in with Aggie and she is still making this noise every wee while. She had dental work done a couple of weeks ago and her mouth was re checked and given the all clear.

Her diet is the same.

Does anyone know what this might be? I am geting really worried about her because I just have this feeling that she is not going to realise her full life expectancy because of her wheeziness and her inability to chubby up. She seems to put weight on then loose it again and yo yos up and down by half a kilo or so. The vet says it is nothing obvious ie no tumours etc and that it is just she doesn't make the most efficient use of her food. She and Aggie (and Pie/Mash) all eat the same hay, sup excel, supa forage and some veg every so often.

Her poos are normal. Please give me any suggestions or thoughts.

lol Pam (& Kim)

Pam, what did the vet say about her wheezing? Did they give her antibios? The sound you heard may have been her breathing even though it sounded like it was coming from her mouth region. Also if it's not her breathing, she may either be 'very happy' cos she's getting a cuddle, or she may be in a bit of pain, depending on the type of tooth clicking. Do you have any metacam?

How old is she again, I've forgotten :oops: ?

Teeth grow amazingly fast, if they don't wee right a 4-6 weeks is sometimes enough to form a spur.

As Lyna says its sometimes difficult to tell where sounds are from so it culd be here breathing.

If she'll let you try resting your fingers on her jaw while you cuddle her, if its her teeth you should feel a vibration with the click.

Tam

Hi

Kim is 5 years old. I have given her some metacam as I am now pretty sure it is her mouth - her dental was just 10 days ago and since then I have made sure she has had plenty hay.

She hasn't had any antibiotics for her wheeziness as the vet says that is is an ongoing thing that isn't causing her any prblems (she doesn't sneeze snot or have runny eyes etc)

I have tried to feel her jaw but she is having none of it. She has not been eating today so I grated her veg and she has had a little bit of that.

I have phoned the vet and she is going in first thing tomorrow - earlier if she gets any worse.

She seems to be going down hill pretty quick an all she seems to want to do is cuddle into Aggie.

lol Pam

[quote="kimbun's m

She seems to be going down hill pretty quick an all she seems to want to do is cuddle into Aggie.

lol Pam[/quote]

Oh Pam I am so sorry to hear that Kim is unwell :? ..please give her hugs and kisses from me, and let us know how she gets on at the Vets.
I know it is a worrying time for you, and we hope things improve very soon.
Thinking of you
Love Adele and all the Sanctuary rabbits

Oh Pam, what a worry :( , at least you've gotten her to eat something. Has she had anything to drink? You might need to sneak a wee squirt of water in the side of her mouth if she'll let you. Try making a paste out of her normal rabbit food and see if she'll take any of that.

Please let us know how she gets on at the vets. Are you taking her back to Thrums?

bunnyhuggger said:
Please let us know how she gets on at the vets. Are you taking her back to Thrums?

Yes, I spoke to Gavin there and he said to bring her in at 8.30 tomorrow morning.

I did try to phone our local vet (you know who) but he refused to see her on the basis that although she is registered with him she had her dental at Thrums. (I hope he gets savaged by a mad dog during his next lot of consultations :!: :!: ).

Anyway I have squirted some water in her mouth like you suggested. At the moment she is snuggled into Aggie so I will leave her alone to get some peace for a wee bit.

lol Pam

That's good, Gavin knows his stuff :thumb:

Re other vet, grrrrrrrr :x ! there's a rabbit and it's hurting, a bit of help would be nice :shock:

Keep squirting the water every so often though, and try the food paste later on once she's had a rest, even if it means you have to feed it by hand.

Pam..I am sorry to hear about Kim and just hope she will be OK Hope you can manage to get her to take some water though.

Horrible vet to do that to you :twisted:

Love from

I have sat with her for the past hour and she has taken some water and I also pureed some food up or her as Lynda suggested and she took it from my hand. She seemed to perk up a bit and made a couple of little hops.

I have popped her back in with Aggie and made the two of them nice and cosy.

I am going to check on her throughout the night and will take her up to the vet in the morning. I got myself into a right state earlier on but I feel a bit better now that she has had a small bite to eat (I think the metacam has maybe kicked in).

I know she is a huffy wee madam at times but I really love her. She has come on so much since we got her and normally she welcomes me each morning with a little dance on her hind legs. I am trying to be positive as I know how easily small animals can go downhill and then bounce back (I am keeping everything crossed that there is still some bounce hidden under her white furry coat).

I will keep you all posted on what is happening. Thank you for all your suggestions and support - it really means a lot to me.

lol Pam

Back