• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buzzards in the Suburbs?!

Beapig

Mama Doe
Just had the scare of my life...I was looking out of the window into the garden and a buzzard came down right next to the rabbit run. I jumped out of the window immediately and scared it off! I live in Cardiff, in the suburbs, and have never worried for a second about birds of prey. I have never seen them around here. I've shut the rabbits in the shed and now I'm terrified to let them out again. I think we may have to save up for an aviary...they're going to be so sad not to have a free run anymore but it isn't worth the risk. I'm in shock :cry:

I live on the outskirts of a city and often see birds of prey, several daily. And foxes. And cats too. Which is why I could never have my bunnies free ranging or in an open topped run. Not worth the risk imo too.

I live on the outskirts of a city and often see birds of prey, several daily. And foxes. And cats too. Which is why I could never have my bunnies free ranging or in an open topped run. Not worth the risk imo too.

We've been living here for over two years now and have never had anything of the like, but I am shook up and looking into aviary runs at this moment. The bunnies are going to have to get used to close quarters in the shed with a small covered run until we get it sorted.

Buzzards are certainly suburban: we live in what I consider the suburbs and there are buzzards here all the time. They course over the nearby fields and then come further into the urban areas looking for easy pickings. My bunnies pay them no mind, they can't get into our garden due to tree and washing line cover. But anywhere more open, especially given they've shown they're happy to land in your garden, looking for an aviary is an excellent idea. Best of luck!

We are rural and have buzzards circling overhead most days, but I've never seen one land in the garden (and there's lots of open space) and not even land in the tall trees at the edge of the garden. I wonder if it's a bit like foxes and that they get more used to humans in urban areas and so are more confiding.

All our runs are closed top, so there's no concern there, but it's interesting the difference.

I hope you find a reasonably-priced aviary.

I'm in Glasgow and about two miles from the city centre.I've not had buzzards land,but I've seen them high in the sky,cruising.Usually the seagulls mob them they can fly as high as them.We do have sparrowhawks trying to catch the birds at the feeders,they usually miss.

Thanks everyone for letting me know how it is where you live...sounds like a city location doesn't mean you're out of danger. I'm onto getting a permanently covered run for the bunnies sorted. They will miss having such a huge space to run around in, but I'm going to get some tunnels for them too so hopefully it will be an interesting and enriching setup :)

You might find that if you can make something yourself, it might be cheaper. We found back when we had outdoor bunnies, the aviaries were too expensive for us. and we made a 10ftx17ft aviary style run by using fence posts, rails and weldmesh, and a roof made of the mesh.

I think they will be happy if they have a large run with plenty of enrichment :love:

Back