• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding Female to Bonded Pair

Carole

Warren Scout
Is it possible to bond a neutered female bunny with an already bonded pair (both neutered).

I wondered if there would be any jealousy from the other female.

Thanks for any help

Thanks Caz for your help - I guessed there must be a link somewhere - not too promising then. The rabbit welfare lady says as we all know that they are all completely different, so there is no written rule, but to be honest it would upset me if there was a lot of fighting and bickering going on.

Today I let all three run free in the garden (as opposed to their runs). They seemed to be ignoring each other for a bit then Violet ran up and nipped Zeus, Athena ran to his rescue and all three ended up in a fur pile with fur going everywhere (thank god they have their winter coats).

Managed to grab Violet - checked them all over - Athena has a bite on her nose but other than that no serious injuries so I let Violet run free today but left Zeus and Athena in their run. Zeus and Athena fought less with each other and seemed very interested in Violet when she ran past.

Caz

Caz said:
Today I let all three run free in the garden (as opposed to their runs). They seemed to be ignoring each other for a bit then Violet ran up and nipped Zeus, Athena ran to his rescue and all three ended up in a fur pile with fur going everywhere (thank god they have their winter coats).

Caz

That is one brave Violet..

Managed to grab Violet - checked them all over - Athena has a bite on her nose but other than that no serious injuries so I let Violet run free today but left Zeus and Athena in their run. Zeus and Athena fought less with each other and seemed very interested in Violet when she ran past.
Caz[/quote]

The tale of these 3 has made me very wary of getting another bun or 2 for the vacnat hutch - I'm scared of upsetting the status quo now they're so in love.

Really is the case of you just dont know until you try, they are all so different and have their own personalities, which is fab, you just never know whats going to happen.

Get another pair but dont mix them!!!

I have an idea about what my problem might be - the rescue mentioned Violet was recently neutered - I am waiting to hear how recently!

Zeus first met Athena when she wasn't neutered and he wouldn't leave her alone. After she was netuered it took a couple of months for him to stop mounting her.

If Violet has been recently done she could still be giving off breeding pheremones/hormones which Zeus is picking up on and he is taking it out on Athena because she is available to him (whereas Violet has been seperated from him).

I am hoping that is just the case and Violet just needs to be kept away from them until her hormones settle.

Every evening when Violet goes back upstairs Zeus and Athena snuggle down together as normal and last night Athena was flopped over on her side while Zeus groomed her head so it isn't breaking their bond.

I may try putting Zeus and Athena in the spare room with Violet caged, then putting Violet downstairs with Zeus and Athena caged.

Every bun is different - smallbrown frog has posted some gorgeous pics of three bunnys all snuggled up together - just wish I could have that!

Caz

P.S. After Brendan's mild protestations about another rabbit - I caught him in the spare room with Violet upside down asleep in his arms while he gave her nose rubs and tickled her belly (she closes her eyes and snoozes when you rub her nose)

Back