• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brought our rabbits home today!

OliveTree

Warren Scout
They were very nervous at first but they seemed to settle in pretty quickly. Is it normal though for me to worry about them constantly?? I keep second guessing myself about everything - are they safe and secure, will they be warm enough tonight, have they got everything they need.... They've eaten more than I expected - almost an eggcup of pellets and muesli each (I'm giving them a mixture for now as they've been eating muesli til now) plus a carrot, a broccoli stalk and a handful of kale between them. Oh, and a large handful of freshly picked grass, plus unlimited hay (hard to say how much of that they've had). They've had a bit to drink I think, but not loads. They seemed unfazed by us coming and going to top up their hay etc. They're shut away for the night now (maybe way too early? I don't know!) and I hope they will be ok overnight - please tell me that they will be!

Haha, yes I'm afraid you will worry about them, but probably less so as time goes on and you get more used to their routines. I'm sure they will be fine overnight. It's good that they have settled in so well.

Have you got a male/female pair? How old are they?

Thank you for replying! I hope I do worry about them less. I'm sure you're right that I will get used to it all. It feels like such a big responsibilty!

They are both boys and they're under one. Apparently one is about 7 months old and the other about 10 months. The younger one was taken to the rescue as part of an accidental litter and the older one was abandoned and we wonder if he was an accidental baby too.

I hope your new Bunnies settle down well and yes it is perfectly normal to worry about them, mostly all the time! Oh, carrot is only to be given as a treat as it is very high in sugar.

Thank you! I'm a worrier anyway so it may not be such a good thing that I have something new to worry about :lol: The carrot was a welcome home treat - they won't be having one again for a while :D

worry & rabbits go together I'm afraid.

I'm glad they've arrived, settled in well & aren't phased by you either - its good to start your bonding early (unobtrusively & quietly) IMO, so they are used to you being part of their life & in their space from the get go

Do you have names for your boys yet?

Congratulations on your new arrivals [emoji3] Really pleased to hear that they're settling in well.

I remember when I adopted my first rabbit, Scrappy. The first night she was here I just sat there thinking what on earth have I done? I don't have the first clue about rabbits, I've always had cats!

I agree with everyone else, worrying is par for the course when owning rabbits. But there is a wealth of information on this forum on looking after bunnies. Also please ask as many questions as you need to ask if you're worried or unsure of anything.

I hope the boys have a good first night in their lovely new home [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I hope they have continued to settle in nicely. I agree, worry and pets go together :lol:

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone. I'm pleased to report that everyone had a good night's sleep - including me :D One of the rabbits has seemed a bit unsure again this morning, but it must be strange waking up in a new place. They both were hungry for breakfast but only one had ventured out into their outside enclosure last time I checked.

Scrappy, I've definitely been having that 'what have I done?!' feeling!

I'm glad they're fine this morning:) I think you'll find that the more cautious one will venture outside once he's sure that the other one is OK.

I hope so. The funny thing is that yesterday, he was the braver one. He has stuck his nose out of the door but no more than that so far today.

Back