• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cant afford to get my rabbit spayed!

moi

Mama Doe
Before I'm pounced on for getting an animal I cant afford to get done, it was either that or her owner was going to let her 'free' or stop feeding her. My Sister rescued her but couldn't keep her. So age 6 weeks she came to us. Shes vaccinated, vet checked, insured and fed well. But I just cant get together the 80quid to get her spayed. I cant get help from RSPCA as I work. I'm putting a little aside each month but seem to be getting nowhere as things keep breaking and need replacing. Is here anywhere that can help? Pdsa dont help kn my area x

Don't beat yourself up! You've saved a bunnies life & in the meantime she is cared for & protected. I hope you can find an organisation to help with spaying costs but if it takes months to save up its not a big deal

Don't beat yourself up! You've saved a bunnies life & in the meantime she is cared for & protected. I hope you can find an organisation to help with spaying costs but if it takes months to save up its not a big deal

I agree. Also, some vets will allow payment by instalments.

Some vets set up accounts,mine does.You pay in so much every month.I don't have rabbits now but they did mention it to me.

Don't fret, you've done an amazing thing by actually saving her, as others said ask about vet payment plans, or do what I've done this year to save for Christmas. Buy one of those pots you have to break to get into and save up, it'll work out one way or another :)

Before I'm pounced on for getting an animal I cant afford to get done, it was either that or her owner was going to let her 'free' or stop feeding her. My Sister rescued her but couldn't keep her. So age 6 weeks she came to us. Shes vaccinated, vet checked, insured and fed well. But I just cant get together the 80quid to get her spayed. I cant get help from RSPCA as I work. I'm putting a little aside each month but seem to be getting nowhere as things keep breaking and need replacing. Is here anywhere that can help? Pdsa dont help kn my area x
dear moi,-amazing,wonderful-thing you have done for this bunz.--I am a rehabber and I know what your up against-$$$,-a part of being human is to allow animals to be free,it is what we want for ourselves..--the bunz comes to you like a Christmas present,you are very fortunate,-not all wildlife are so lucky.--no one is going to condemn you,..-getting spayed is the least of your worries-or hers,-if she is 6 weeks old,you have plenty of time,-are you sure about her age,??-bunz are generally weaned about 8 weeks,and do you have records form the dvm who vaccinated her??-god bless you and merry xmas,--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

thank you everyone. Yeah she was born June 5th and was only 6 weeks when we got her. Shes nearly 5 months and was hoping to get her done soon but I shall have to wait a while longer. Shes a funny little thing. I was waiting to bond her with Benji but she jumped over the separation one night and they got on!

Can the blue cross help. I know one year they had some sort of neutering scheme included rabbits and they gave out vouchers to take certain amount off costs

Can the blue cross help. I know one year they had some sort of neutering scheme included rabbits and they gave out vouchers to take certain amount off costs

I think you have to be on certain benefits, but certainly worth trying.

As has been said, many vets offer payment plans.

Check some of the local charities, often they do reduced price spaying.

Friends of the animals are one but I don’t know if they have a branch near you

I am glad you rescued her. Shame on her prior owner for making those awful threats. Was she an accidental litter for prior owners since you acquired her so young?

I'm not sure to be honest. I have since found out that most of her siblings and father have died! So shes had a lucky escape x

Aww the other poor rabbits :cry:

Are there any family members that could help you out then you pay them back?
If not maybe slay later date. It's quite expensive time year now what with Christmas coming up etc
Vaccinations would certainly be of most importance first

I'm not sure to be honest. I have since found out that most of her siblings and father have died! So shes had a lucky escape x

She is very lucky to have found you. Some bunnies cannot be spayed due to medical issues and they still live wonderful lives under the care of people like yourself. Some people spay to avoid accidental litters, others spay to prevent future medical issues, and still others spay for behavioral reasons. A lot has to do with your individual bunny. I had my mini rex, Heidi, for approximately a year before I had her spayed, and she was already a year old when I adopted her.
Please do have her vaccinated as others have suggested.

Back