PDA

View Full Version : Excessive caecotrophs

amaeving
22-10-2019, 05:03 PM
I have a 2 year old male neutered lion head rabbit who came from the blue cross last year. He was bonded to my female but she died earlier this summer and since then he has been alone.

For approximately the last month he has been having horrible trouble with excessive caecotrophs everywhere and some soft faeces as well.

He has had both treats and pellets and greens cut out his diet. He has had hay (Timothy hay.co.uk) which he eats and I have tried fibreplex.

He doesnít like any of the other rabbits I have.

Any ideas?

Jack's-Jane
22-10-2019, 05:47 PM
I have a 2 year old male neutered lion head rabbit who came from the blue cross last year. He was bonded to my female but she died earlier this summer and since then he has been alone.

For approximately the last month he has been having horrible trouble with excessive caecotrophs everywhere and some soft faeces as well.

He has had both treats and pellets and greens cut out his diet. He has had hay (Timothy hay.co.uk) which he eats and I have tried fibreplex.

He doesn’t like any of the other rabbits I have.

Any ideas?

Has he been examined by a Vet in recent weeks ? That would be the first thing I'd advise you to do.

Is he losing weight ?

Is he less mobile than usual ?

Apart from Timothy Hay does he have any other food ?

What sort of accommodation does he live in and is there any chance that he may be stressed by the proximity of your other Rabbits and/or predators such as Cats/Foxes ?

Sorry for all the questions, but a bit more info may enable us to offer you so suggestions. But as I said, a Vet check would be the first thing to do (if you have not already done so )

amaeving
24-10-2019, 07:41 PM
He has had bloods and faecal samples done. He isnít stiff but I have trialled metacam and he hasnít changed volumes. He is in a garage with holes drilled into the walls through to a run outside which he has lived in for the last year. He can touch the other rabbits through the bars and he chooses to sit by them but when allowed direct contact they try to kill each other!

Jack's-Jane
25-10-2019, 04:33 AM
He has had bloods and faecal samples done. He isn’t stiff but I have trialled metacam and he hasn’t changed volumes. He is in a garage with holes drilled into the walls through to a run outside which he has lived in for the last year. He can touch the other rabbits through the bars and he chooses to sit by them but when allowed direct contact they try to kill each other!

What is his exact diet each day ?

amaeving
25-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Www.timothyhay.co.uk their Timothy hay.

He just gets that. Nothing else at all.

jewaller
25-10-2019, 09:40 PM

He doesnít like any of the other rabbits I have.

Any ideas?dear amaeving,-here is my link to sanity http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html the cecotropes are not always eaten,due to gut flora-balance,-,-however-excessive or not ingesting cecos-could be a problem.--diet sounds ok on the surface.--please review the poop link for better identification of a problem--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Jack's-Jane
26-10-2019, 04:54 AM
Www.timothyhay.co.uk their Timothy hay.

He just gets that. Nothing else at all.

Has there been any changes in his living environment, however minor, just prior to the poo problems developing ?

I am assuming that both the blood tests and fecal tests done by the Vet were OK ?

Is he losing weight ?

Have you tried him on these : https://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre-for-rabbits/32

Have you wormed him ?

Can you post a pic of his abnormal poo ?