• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas for wearing a rabbit's teeth down?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Doughnut hasn't eaten hay in 10 weeks. Tried every hay under the sun and it can't be her teeth has she had them done last week! She won't eat grass either but will eat dandelion leaves!

I was going to get some apple sticks for her but when I ordered some from ebay before they turned out to be tiny, so she had no interest. Does anyone know where I can get some good large sticks and also any other ideas on what to feed her to wear them down. She won't eat alfalfa hay or readigrass either.

Lava Stone Blocks? Looks a bit like Pumice
Alternatively ask around and see if you have any tree surgeons around you and see if they can get any apple, ash, birch, hawthorn, hazel, juniper, maple, pear, poplar, spruce and willow

Bramble leaves
Willow (still in leaf here) - leaves and stems
Plantain

They are all tougher leaves which will give more wear on the teeth.

My buns all love willow stems as well as the leaves and I think that helps to keep their teeth down. My indoor bun uses my furniture too:(:(

Doughnut hasn't eaten hay in 10 weeks. Tried every hay under the sun and it can't be her teeth has she had them done last week! She won't eat grass either but will eat dandelion leaves!

I was going to get some apple sticks for her but when I ordered some from ebay before they turned out to be tiny, so she had no interest. Does anyone know where I can get some good large sticks and also any other ideas on what to feed her to wear them down. She won't eat alfalfa hay or readigrass either.

I can send you some large apple and pear sticks if you PM me your addie

Has she got elongated tooth roots ? If so then hay eating may be painful for her.

I have a few other chaff mixes I could send you some samples of, they are meant for Horses but very useful for Rabbits who cant eat much hay.

Eurgh :S Second the bramble, also the sticks, hawthorn sticks seem pretty tough and liked by mine. Jerusalem artichoke and sunflower leaves seem quite 'gritty' too, like grass, maybe that would work?

Mmm, you'll have to watch with the bramble thorns though: Doughnut will be OK with them, I expect she'll strip them off like mine do... You might have to watch about sweeping them up though, or they get EVERYWHERE really quickly!

I can send you some large apple and pear sticks if you PM me your addie

Has she got elongated tooth roots ? If so then hay eating may be painful for her.

I have a few other chaff mixes I could send you some samples of, they are meant for Horses but very useful for Rabbits who cant eat much hay.

Thank you I will send you a PM :). I know she likes pear and apple, doesn't touch willow when I got it for her before. May have to look for some brambles to give that a go. I have roses so I can maybe try them, as she loves the petals. Well she used to!

Thank you I will send you a PM :). I know she likes pear and apple, doesn't touch willow when I got it for her before. May have to look for some brambles to give that a go. I have roses so I can maybe try them, as she loves the petals. Well she used to!

I'll post them off this morning xx

Back