• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone recommend a rabbit shampoo?

TIA :) x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
dear graciee,-.-is this a full body bathe,shampoo..??-if so, I would strongly advise against it..---.--I have been known to give a bum bathe/pooopy bum..-with extreme caution..-one must have everything set up -from room/water temp.-hair dryers[for immediate drying-,warm dry bed,etc.-this procedure it not for the faint of heart..-.there are products [I am told]-to clean the fur,but I never tried them,[donot like the idea of chemicals on the bun.]--rabbits are consummate groomers and donot like getting wet..,sorry to sound like a stick in the mud,-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

For a bum bath for Atticus ? I know you are aware that Rabbits should not have 'proper' full baths :) When Lord H was having his bad gut 'issues' I just gave him bum baths using warm water. I try to avoid using a shampoo but if I did I'd use a tiny amount of fragrance free baby shampoo . I have used this one before https://www.hipp.co.uk/baby-care/our-free-from-baby-care-range/baby-shampoo/

Yeaaa it's either that or a trip to the vets, he has a plain water one frequently, but he was very unwell the other day randomly and managed to get very messy, I hoped a few normal ones would help but I think we need something otherwise its butt shave time [emoji51] his skins good which is the main thing is just he managed to sit in like more poop than ever (must just be my lucky day[emoji38]) and squish it into the fur near his tail.. Never seen him this messy before [emoji37] and yea I know buns shouldn't have a full bath :) probably should've put that in the OP [emoji51]

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a go, don't think we'll need much just need something :)

dear graciee,-.-is this a full body bathe,shampoo..??-if so, I would strongly advise against it..---.--I have been known to give a bum bathe/pooopy bum..-with extreme caution..-one must have everything set up -from room/water temp.-hair dryers[for immediate drying-,warm dry bed,etc.-this procedure it not for the faint of heart..-.there are products [I am told]-to clean the fur,but I never tried them,[donot like the idea of chemicals on the bun.]--rabbits are consummate groomers and donot like getting wet..,sorry to sound like a stick in the mud,-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Hi James, sorry my fault, I assumed everyone would know like Jane does that I'm aware buns don't need bathing, that's on me, I should have been more clear.

I have a rabbit with gut issues who often needs a plain water butt bath to stay fresh, I won't have him go outside without some protection either in case of flystrike, he basically produces soft poop constantly so tends to get messy sometimes. Well a day or so ago he set the record in how much he could sit in [emoji38] I've tried with just water, but he needs something else unfortunately or it's bum clip time at the vets, I reckon we can avoid that though.

Thank you for the info though and I'll be more clear next time :)

Hare and shoulders!

:lol::lol::lol:

Graciee, I often have to clean Treacles bum in the morning, she has a habit of sitting in soft poo during the night. I keep an old flannel for the job, just using warm water, and rubbing gently gets most of it off. She's not keen though, but I get down on the floor and wedge her head first between my knees so she cant escape, that leaves me with both hands free. Oh the joys of bunnies :?

I've had a few botty explosions in my time and I agree with Petsmum that a flannel soaked in warm water does a really good job of cleaning it all up.

I've designated a light blue flannel for bum cleaning. I also have a dark blue one I use to put on my head for when I have a headache. One day I mixed them up and was laid out on the sofa wearing the light blue flannel on my bonce. Then I suddenly realised "Eurrrgh! I've got the poo flannel on my head!" It had been through the washing machine, but still...

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I've had a few botty explosions in my time and I agree with Petsmum that a flannel soaked in warm water does a really good job of cleaning it all up.

I've designated a light blue flannel for bum cleaning. I also have a dark blue one I use to put on my head for when I have a headache. One day I mixed them up and was laid out on the sofa wearing the light blue flannel on my bonce. Then I suddenly realised "Eurrrgh! I've got the poo flannel on my head!" It had been through the washing machine, but still...

Sorry but that made me nearly choke on my coffee :lol::lol::lol: you, or your bunnies ;):lol:

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Graciee, I often have to clean Treacles bum in the morning, she has a habit of sitting in soft poo during the night. I keep an old flannel for the job, just using warm water, and rubbing gently gets most of it off. She's not keen though, but I get down on the floor and wedge her head first between my knees so she cant escape, that leaves me with both hands free. Oh the joys of bunnies :?
Yea tried a flannel last night, just wasn't working [emoji51][emoji51]

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Just to add, there is always a chance, however small, that Atticus's GI tract problems will spontaneously resolve. After 4 years of ongoing 'issues', Lord H now has no abnormal output, no huge splats of poo, no huge wet fecal pellets and no mucky bum. Nothing changed in his diet, he was not put on any Gut related medication. The 'miracle' just happened. Even though he still has all his other neurological/heart problems his GI tract problems have, for now, 100% resolved. If only I knew how or why :?

Ha ha! Oh dear [emoji23] I meant the bunnies were the ones having the botty explosions, not me!

Ha, glad you cleared that one up:lol:
Seriously, I hope you get sorted, my bridge bun Rosie got a sticky bum and I just used warm water, its not an easy job

Atticus showing zero remorse about getting his poopy bath water in my mouth [emoji849][emoji38]
09984447f1f4cb92f43cee5d6e70d537.jpg
7912c958ca412d6012de745c3151e254.jpg
e12eb3c01e36384cb5f3f66686962eb3.jpg
7bcad358e287179762a4a07f59e91b9b.jpg
4f0f95e61ae1112e9d3ad5e27bd3f7e6.jpg

We used to dunk Charlie's rear end in a marge pot with dish soap :oops: This was the 1990s, and it was a very small amount of dish soap, and we did rinse him properly before he could get his face round there... Mostly the warm water did the work though. I think he secretly liked the attention, he was very good (for a raging Nethie who attacked the vet) :)

Back