• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible RHD2 virus east Devon, Lyme Regis/Axminster area

Compass

Warren Scout
I just wanted to raise awareness of suspected RHD2 virus in the East Devon area. We had 4 rabbits and with in the space of two days we have lost two and another is at the vets unwell.
One (Bagel) had chronic kidney failure and was palliative but doing well, he became unwell with weight loss ++ and we initially thought this was organ failure associated with his condition. At the same time his partner (Brie) stopped eating and we initially thought she was mimicking him (as she has done this before). We took him to the vet and he went under light GA for only slightly sharp tooth which the vet suspected was potentially not the main cause. After bringing him back home we found one of our outdoor pair had died with no symptoms whatsoever, he was 2 and apart from Megacolon, which was managed well he was in great health, eating and hopping around that day. Bagel became very unwell today and sadly we had to put him down whilst also having to hand Brie over to the vet for continued deterioration. She is currently having fluid therapy and is staying in over night.

We had deliberated on whether to vaccinate against RHD2, thinking the myxomatosis/RHD1 could be enough. We may be wrong and this might not be RHD2 but is either exceptional coincidence or the deadly virus. We have learnt the hard way, whether it is or isn’t we will now ensure we vaccinate against this new virus also. I know there is debate on its efficacy but least if it did happen again we could say we did everything we could.

I just wanted to raise awareness of suspected RHD2 virus in the East Devon area. We had 4 rabbits and with in the space of two days we have lost two and another is at the vets unwell.
One (Bagel) had chronic kidney failure and was palliative but doing well, he became unwell with weight loss ++ and we initially thought this was organ failure associated with his condition. At the same time his partner (Brie) stopped eating and we initially thought she was mimicking him (as she has done this before). We took him to the vet and he went under light GA for only slightly sharp tooth which the vet suspected was potentially not the main cause. After bringing him back home we found one of our outdoor pair had died with no symptoms whatsoever, he was 2 and apart from Megacolon, which was managed well he was in great health, eating and hopping around that day. Bagel became very unwell today and sadly we had to put him down whilst also having to hand Brie over to the vet for continued deterioration. She is currently having fluid therapy and is staying in over night.

We had deliberated on whether to vaccinate against RHD2, thinking the myxomatosis/RHD1 could be enough. We may be wrong and this might not be RHD2 but is either exceptional coincidence or the deadly virus. We have learnt the hard way, whether it is or isn’t we will now ensure we vaccinate against this new virus also. I know there is debate on its efficacy but least if it did happen again we could say we did everything we could.

I am very sorry for your losses :cry: Is your Vet going to arrange PMs/PCR testing to confirm a diagnosis ?

You may find these links informative

http://laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/showGeneralTest.jsp?testID=8518

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Once again, many condolences for your losses :cry:

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbits :( I hope you can find out what the cause was x

I'm so sorry. Yes you do need both vaccines unfortunately.

I hope Brie recovers, it's so hard when they are ill. I have Doughnut vaccinated for both and she is an indoor rabbit but still got myxi a couple of months ago. Couldn't believe she would get it being indoors, thankfully she survived but even with the vaccine there is no guarantee although they stand a much better chance.

Please don't beat yourselves up about it, I know some vets don't push the vaccine. Like you said you've learnt the hard way so be kind to yourselves. Lots of hugs.

I’m so sorry for your losses, your remaining buns will be in my thoughts. I had a similar loss of 2/4 to RHD2, and I would t wish it on anybody.

Thank you for your kind words. Very sadly we lost Brie this morning. The vet is going to get back to us about testing but we are now fairly confident this is not a coincidence. We have one rabbit left who is very well at the moment. We’ve transferred her to another unused area of hutch and run and have disinfected everything.
Never expected this , life sucks sometimes :(

It certainly does, but you have done everything you can to get them well again. I'm sorry you lost Brie, lots of hugs

Thank you for your kind words. Very sadly we lost Brie this morning. The vet is going to get back to us about testing but we are now fairly confident this is not a coincidence. We have one rabbit left who is very well at the moment. We’ve transferred her to another unused area of hutch and run and have disinfected everything.
Never expected this , life sucks sometimes :(

I am so very sorry. I would advise you to get your remaining Rabbit RHD2 Vaccinated TODAY. Also, I would avoid contact with any other premises were unvaccinated Rabbits may be kept- eg Pets Shops as the virus is very easily transmitted on our shoes and clothing etc.

If you have not already done so I would urge you to read these two links that I posted previously :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

RIP Brie :cry:

My husband is just buying a new pet carrier and is having the remaining rabbit booked in today for RHD2 vac.
Devastating to say the least . As we now have a single rabbit we are unsure when to introduce a partner as we don’t want to put another at risk. We always get rescue rabbits and so it would be vaccinated but it could still be a risk.

I'm so sorry to hear about Brie. Sweet dreams baby girl. I'm sure rescues will advise you appropriately about when it might be appropriate / safe to adopt again

Back