• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can a bunny get UTI twice within 2 weeks??

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I'm not having the best of runs of things at the moment - a number of things have gotten me down over the last few weeks - probably started with my worry over Lillian getting UTI 2 weeks ago. We've been keeping a very close eye on her each day to make sure that she is ok and no sign of any more issues.
When I've cleaned the bunnies out (every 2 days), there has been a very healthy wet area in the bedding area (megazorb, straw and newspaper on the base). So I have been confident that things are ok.
I checked Lillian last night and this morning - she was bone dry underneath. She has been eating well, and every morning the previous nights supper has been demolished with no trace of any food left.
I've literally just checked Lillian 20 minutes ago, and there is evidence that she is a bit wet in her genitalia area. I am now in full panic mode.
It's 8pm on a saturday night again, and I don't know if UTI can return so quckly - 2 weeks after being supposidly cleared up.
In view of the fact that the x-ray she had 2 weeks ago showed no evidence of bladder stones, then I don't feel the need for another x-ray if it comes to that.
I am just about near breaking down now.
I don't want to make a call to the vets now - and Sunday is possibly worse for any call out, but I don't want to sit on it til Monday.
If we go tomorrow, I'm not sure if they would hospitalise - if there is any evidence, so I may just be paying for a vet to say 'come back tomorrow' - and I don't want to do that.
My initial question to everybun is - has anybun had any previous knowledge or experience of a rabbit getting UTI 2 weeks after being treated and cleared for it.
I may also be over-reacting and over-sensitive on this and perhaps someone will tell me that Lillian might have just been to the toilet and was just wet from that. But deep down I am thinking not - and I am being panicky about it.
Advice please. And thank you all in advance. I'm running out of tissues for my eyes now. :cry:

I'm not having the best of runs of things at the moment - a number of things have gotten me down over the last few weeks - probably started with my worry over Lillian getting UTI 2 weeks ago. We've been keeping a very close eye on her each day to make sure that she is ok and no sign of any more issues.
When I've cleaned the bunnies out (every 2 days), there has been a very healthy wet area in the bedding area (megazorb, straw and newspaper on the base). So I have been confident that things are ok.
I checked Lillian last night and this morning - she was bone dry underneath. She has been eating well, and every morning the previous nights supper has been demolished with no trace of any food left.
I've literally just checked Lillian 20 minutes ago, and there is evidence that she is a bit wet in her genitalia area. I am now in full panic mode.
It's 8pm on a saturday night again, and I don't know if UTI can return so quckly - 2 weeks after being supposidly cleared up.
In view of the fact that the x-ray she had 2 weeks ago showed no evidence of bladder stones, then I don't feel the need for another x-ray if it comes to that.
I don't want to make a call to the vets now - and Sunday is possibly worse for any call out, but I don't want to sit on it til Monday.
If we go tomorrow, I'm not sure if they would hospitalise - if there is any evidence, so I may just be paying for a vet to say 'come back tomorrow' - and I don't want to do that.
My initial question to everybun is - has anybun had any previous knowledge or experience of a rabbit getting UTI 2 weeks after being treated and cleared for it.
I may also be over-reacting and over-sensitive on this and perhaps someone will tell me that Lillian might have just been to the toilet and was just wet from that. But deep down I am thinking not - and I am being panicky about it.
Advice please. And thank you all in advance. I'm running out of tissues for my eyes now. :cry:
dear craig1965,-urinary track infections,require correct diagnosis from an exotic dvm,-via urinalysis/blood test,-then the correct antibiotic is prescribed,..as far as your question what antibiotic was she prescribed-[two wks ago],??-the radiogragh was good.--my guess the problem was not diagnosed correctly,..sometimes there is more than one issue.--a urine analysis,or metabolic blood test will better isolate the problem.,-and remember all antibiotcs require probiotics-because the gut flora gets destroyed-and must be kept in order-rabbits are strictly herbivores-[grass eaters].--you might do well to get references for this vet.--time to be brave-one step at a time,lillian needs you.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Okay I'm no expert, but don't panic, just thinking about myself, I once had a uti, took a course of antibiotics, thought it cleared up.. But it came back after I stopped antibiotics, went back, doctor said course wasn't long enough... So maybe she still had the infection a little? And its come back?

Did she have sludge? Because it can scratch the insides and make infections happen easier IIRC. (maybe the previous stone could have caused internal damage which could make her more susceptible to utis too.)

Either way I'd personally get her to the vet asap.

Sending a million vibes for you and Lillian xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Okay I'm no expert, but don't panic, just thinking about myself, I once had a uti, took a course of antibiotics, thought it cleared up.. But it came back after I stopped antibiotics, went back, doctor said course wasn't long enough... So maybe she still had the infection a little? And its come back?

Did she have sludge? Because it can scratch the insides and make infections happen easier IIRC. (maybe the previous stone could have caused internal damage which could make her more susceptible to utis too.)

Either way I'd personally get her to the vet asap.

Sending a million vibes for you and Lillian xx

Same thing happened to my daughter. Reoccurrence of uti not sludge :lol: After a longer course of antibiotics it cleared up. But I don’t know if it’s the same in bunnies. I’d give the vets a call tomorrow.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I'm sorry to hear about poor Lillian. I'm also inclined to agree with graciee that maybe the course of antibiotics she was given previously wasn't long enough to finish off the infection.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you RU friends for your comments and thoughts. Lillian is definately showing signs of wet so I must act on this swiftly. From spending the last 2 hours reading more about UTI on the interweb, there appears to be much evidence to support your views above in that antibiotic courses could be longer and although the vets acted swiftly with intravenus antibiotics 2 weeks ago for the UTI - which I assume was a higher strength dose, then with your supportive views, I will take Lillian to the vet tomorrow morning - I think they open at 9am. I will do my level best to impress on them that we need a weeks course of ABX - assuming this is baytril, and hopefully acting on this within 24 hours will enable Lillian to recover.
I will update the post once I've taken Lillian to the vet tomorrow.
There is a house for sale opposite the vet hospital - I am seriously considering putting a bid in for it!

Thank you RU friends for your comments and thoughts. Lillian is definately showing signs of wet so I must act on this swiftly. From spending the last 2 hours reading more about UTI on the interweb, there appears to be much evidence to support your views above in that antibiotic courses could be longer and although the vets acted swiftly with intravenus antibiotics 2 weeks ago for the UTI - which I assume was a higher strength dose, then with your supportive views, I will take Lillian to the vet tomorrow morning - I think they open at 9am. I will do my level best to impress on them that we need a weeks course of ABX - assuming this is baytril, and hopefully acting on this within 24 hours will enable Lillian to recover.
There is a house for sale opposite the vet hospital - I am seriously considering putting a bid in for it!
It may not be that ofc, I'd see what the vet thinks, but I don't think antibiotics will hurt. Is it a rabbit savvy vet tomorrow? Because if not I do take your point about having to go twice.. Is it the same vet practice? I think what I'd probably do is go tomorrow (if its not an exotic vet) I'd maybe opt for the antibiotics, but then I'd call to speak to the right vet on Monday and discuss if there's any other tests they would have done and maybe she could have just those if they think there could be another reason etc, so you don't have to necessarily have two consultations and stress her out more :)

If the Vet thinks it is another UTI then I would request that :

1- A urine sample is taken to be sent off to a Vetlab for full urinalysis

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

2- In the meantime, until the results from the lab are back (which should include what are the best abx to give depending on the specific bacteria found) a covering abx is given As has been mentioned, abx to treat UTIs may need to be very long courses- at least 14 days. Treatment should continue for at least 48 hours AFTER all clinical symptoms have resolved. With UTIs the core of infection is often set deep within the bladder wall. Stopping the abx too soon can lead to a relapse/abx resistance.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

Sending lots of vibes for Lillian :love:

Snowy has had recurrent UTIs within a short space of time before, partly because she's prone to them but sometimes when the course of antibiotics wasn't long enough. From what I recall, Lillian didn't have a very long course of antibiotics for her UTI the other week? So it could just be that it didn't fully clear the infection and it's something as simple as a longer course needed.
Try not to worry Craig, you do the best you physically can for those rabbits and Lillian will be absolutely fine xx

How did Lillian get on at the vet? (Late to this thread as been at work) Hope she is OK. Your buns are certainly increasing your stress levels at the moment - and animals are supposed to be therapeutic!!!!

Ok, this is probably going to sound all wrong - and I gladly put my hands up here to be totally ripped apart.
I didn’t sleep well last night- a couple of things were keeping me awake- Lillian being the main one.
I came downstairs at 7:30am this morning and things didn’t add up.
Firstly, the food I left for Lillian and Henry last night was all gone. When Lillian has her uti 2 weeks ago, she went off food overnight. So the food was being eaten.
Secondly, I picked her up expecting to feel the familiar wet feel, and she was bone dry. Fur all lovely toasty warm and dry.
That threw me. So- and this is where you can feel free to tear me to bits, I didn’t ring the vet. I checked on Lillian several times during the morning before the vets closed, and she was dry- bone dry, and merrily playing in the garden, scoffing triffids and eating pears that had blown off our tree!
I checked her tonight and just now- still bone dry and warm. I cleaned them out this morning and there were huge damp patches in the toilet area.
As it stands, we’ll review things when I get up in the morning for work. If she’s showing sign of damp, then we’ll take her to the hospital. But if you ask my honest opinion as things are now- then I’d say she is showing zero sign of uti.
But now you’ll ask me why I was flapping last night and why she was damp?
I have no idea and I’m open to anyone and everyone with greater knowledge and experience than me.
My head is all over the place and I also thank you all for your vibes and well wishes for Lillian. Whatever they are, they are quite amazing.

Let's hope Lillian keeps this up. Just popped on to see if there was any news so I am very happy to read your update.

Great update Craig, no answers I'm afraid, but let's hope this continues ! Hope you sleep better tonight xx

lillian

dear craig1965,--as I read this post,-Lillian was given iv-antibiotics about 9/29/2019,on the first visit,-what did you pay for-[did you see the meds/for the iv]-and-what were your discharge instructions.??-today she is dry-10-13-2019,-this is good,continue watching the behavior-poops/p-p.-and we/dry bum,.i think the dvm-[diagnosis]-was correct-.and keep feeding timothy[grasses]-,quality pellets,water,and some treats--good job,--go Lillian--:love:sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::love::wave:

Last edited:
Ok, this is probably going to sound all wrong - and I gladly put my hands up here to be totally ripped apart.
I didn’t sleep well last night- a couple of things were keeping me awake- Lillian being the main one.
I came downstairs at 7:30am this morning and things didn’t add up.
Firstly, the food I left for Lillian and Henry last night was all gone. When Lillian has her uti 2 weeks ago, she went off food overnight. So the food was being eaten.
Secondly, I picked her up expecting to feel the familiar wet feel, and she was bone dry. Fur all lovely toasty warm and dry.
That threw me. So- and this is where you can feel free to tear me to bits, I didn’t ring the vet. I checked on Lillian several times during the morning before the vets closed, and she was dry- bone dry, and merrily playing in the garden, scoffing triffids and eating pears that had blown off our tree!
I checked her tonight and just now- still bone dry and warm. I cleaned them out this morning and there were huge damp patches in the toilet area.
As it stands, we’ll review things when I get up in the morning for work. If she’s showing sign of damp, then we’ll take her to the hospital. But if you ask my honest opinion as things are now- then I’d say she is showing zero sign of uti.
But now you’ll ask me why I was flapping last night and why she was damp?
I have no idea and I’m open to anyone and everyone with greater knowledge and experience than me.
My head is all over the place and I also thank you all for your vibes and well wishes for Lillian. Whatever they are, they are quite amazing.

Was the dampness on her belly or just her tail ? I would have done the same as you yesterday, watch and wait. If it happens again and taking her past history into account I'd definitely get her checked over. But from what you have said and the fact that you are vigilant and not the sort of person to avoid consulting a Vet when necessary I think you made the right call. If it would put your mind at rest you could call the Vet today and ask if he/she thinks it is necessary for Lillian to be examined :)

Try not to worry. She may be starting another UTI as the other one didn't totally go. Doughnut had one for a while, first of all she had baytril then sulfatrim as the baytril didn't work after 9 days. If she is wet again I would pop her back to the vets and she may need another course of antibiotics but a different one to totally get rid of it.

Back