• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ive got my own parking space at the vets! (U/D 9th Oct)

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I'd like to have just a coupl of days, where I'm not at the vets. I'm there so often now, theyve given me my own space!
Joking aside, I came home from work tonight. The O/H has been off today so Hillian have had a day in the garden. Nice weather, mild. A good day to be outside chilling. Henry has been acting a bit unusual the last couple of days. A bit subdued but no outward signs of anything lurking. No limping. Eating ok. Pooping fine. Weeing ok. I went up the garden to see the buns as they were in the garage - they like to sit in there but the door is open for them to go out.
Henry is sitting dutifully next to Lillian - but he's not really relaxed. And looking at him, there, on his right cheek is a nice big creamy lump.
No prizes for guesing where that is from. So, we had a bit of a wrestling match and I gently massaged his eye and some white/creamy liquidy goop starts flowing along the lower lid. Oh dear. And a few stray bits floating over the eye. Hmm.
I know where this was going - so out with the carrier and off to the vets. I'd rather this was nipped in the bud sooner rather than later - although I'm still a useless bun-dad for not picking this up sooner.
Luckily we saw the wonderful vet who operated on Lillians bladder stones in June - and she gave Henry an extremely thorough examination. The irony is, that before we took Henry, we gave his eye a thorough wash - which he was not apporving of, and as we waited to see the vet, a nice blob of goop started to eek out from the corner of his eye. Perfect, I thought - the vet can see exactly what the problem is. And then Henry decided to wash himself - removing said blobby stuff and then proceding to eat it off his paws. Hmm.
Never mind - the vet was extremely thorough and Henry was quite fed up with it all. She checked his nose, teeth and anything else related to his eye - just to ensure all possible other causes could be ruled out. I explained we've been here before with Henry - back in March and sure enough there on the notes was the dopicillan injection notes. Initially the vet was going to go with a topical eye drop - but I sort of advised her that this didn't have eny effect due to the fact he has no tear duct - so is prone to this sort of infection.
Henry decides he has had enough and superman leaps off the table and scrabbles up me. Poor little bun.
Anyway, out came the injection and for the next 2 days we've got to go back and have the injection to tackle the infection.
On the plus side, I think I have managed to prevent this getting to the stage it was back in March as there was no big build up of infection in the duct - it's in the early stages - hence why it's still a bit runny.
Henry is now sulking under the table - and I fully understand why he feels that way. But I also know that having been here before, in 2 days time the infection will have been tackled because that form of penicillan works very well and very quickly on the eye infection.
I only wish I could swap places with Henry and take the infection on his behalf so he feels better.
I'll keep the thread updated for you but I am confident that Henry will be ok in 48 hours or so. Unfortunately as he was seemingly born without a tear duct, this is going to be an ongoing problem for him so we just have to monitor and be vigilent on his behalf.
Craig x

Last edited:
Oh dear, Henry :( It sounds as though he's received good treatment at the vets though and so, as you say, in a couple of days hopefully all will be well again.

I bet Lillian took one look at him and importantly sniffed him all over and said, "I know where you've been" :lol:

Oh dear, Henry :( It sounds as though he's received good treatment at the vets though and so, as you say, in a couple of days hopefully all will be well again.

I bet Lillian took one look at him and importantly sniffed him all over and said, "I know where you've been" :lol:

Thanks Omi - I needed that so much. Thank you for bringing a much needed smile to me. :D

It sound like you got this early Craig. I hope the injections rid him of the infection & he's on top form soon. Comforting vibes for him in the meantime.

How far away is your vet?

It sound like you got this early Craig. I hope the injections rid him of the infection & he's on top form soon. Comforting vibes for him in the meantime.

How far away is your vet?

Good question - we’ll, we’re sort of in between the practice hospital, and the practice surgery. Drive time to either is around 12 minutes. I think both Henry and Lillian know their own way to the vets now������. Lillian has decided that Henry needs a bit of a cuddle so she is snuggled next to him in their bedtime box. Sounds awful but actually it is carpeted and has access to the midnight snack bar and only one hop from the en suite.

Oh poor Henry, but well done Craig on spotting it, and getting it sorted pronto ! Hope it clears up soon Henry xxx

Oh my goodness, I so relate to this! It seems just as one problem is sussed, another presents itself. I not only have my own parking space at the vets, I have my own chair in the waiting room with monogrammed coffee mug too! :roll:

I'd forgotten about caller ID when I would phone and they would answer, "Hi M...what can we do for you and Jenna today?" I thought I called so much that they just assumed and if they were wrong it was an off day. :roll:

All my best and brightest hopes that things start to calm down at yours, Craig. Happy and healthy bunny vibes on the way! xxxxx

Oh dear, poor Henry :cry: I cant remember if he had a skull Xray to rule out tooth root elongation as being an issue ? This can cause repeated nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) infections ? Unfortunately TRE can only be identified via a skull Xray (or CT scan), See bottom right Xray image on here :

tB8kdlE.jpg

I hope that Henry's infection clears up quickly, sending lots of vibes xx

Sending some positive vibes to Henry and you.
It was great you noticed the infection and was able to be seen at vets so quickly.

Thank you all so very much for reading and supporting Henry's little thread. I was so sorry to post about Henry's vet trip a week after you had all been so thoughtful and suportive for Lillian - the two conditions they have/had are poles apart in some ways - Lillians was far more serious than Henry's eye/blocked tear duct.
Henry was born without a tear duct in his right eye so this will always be an issue. It's not that I'm belittling it over Lillians more serious UTI & bladder stones, it's just that in many ways, it is a much simpler treatment and the injectiosn work so quickly. But Henry and I are incredibly grateful for all the support and kind words you have all given.
We've just got back from injection 2 and visibly there's not a whole lot of change. I think I caught it quickly enough - still in the 'just developing into a serious infection' stage, rather than the full blown thick infection he had back in March.
But inside, I think Henry is feeling better. His behaviour in the last few days was not his usual pattern - and I should have noticed that quicker. He gets incredibly stressed at the vets (as do most pets I suspect), but his body language is a bit better. He had a run outside this morning and tonight and was quicker off the blocks to go out. Sadly, time oustide wasn't long due to me going to work and then going to vets tonight.
Discharge from the eye is now very minimal - only a very small amount which was easily wiped away. I'm sure that any pressure that the infection may have had under the eye and surrounding area will be decreasing so that must also make Henry feel better.
Thank you all so much again - your support and vibes are treasured and valued so much.
Craig & Henry and Lillian xx

Sorry I'm only just commenting, sending lots of vibes for the lovely Henry, I hope it clears up soon xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you all so very much for reading and supporting Henry's little thread. I was so sorry to post about Henry's vet trip a week after you had all been so thoughtful and suportive for Lillian - the two conditions they have/had are poles apart in some ways - Lillians was far more serious than Henry's eye/blocked tear duct.
Henry was born without a tear duct in his right eye so this will always be an issue. It's not that I'm belittling it over Lillians more serious UTI & bladder stones, it's just that in many ways, it is a much simpler treatment and the injectiosn work so quickly. But Henry and I are incredibly grateful for all the support and kind words you have all given.
We've just got back from injection 2 and visibly there's not a whole lot of change. I think I caught it quickly enough - still in the 'just developing into a serious infection' stage, rather than the full blown thick infection he had back in March.
But inside, I think Henry is feeling better. His behaviour in the last few days was not his usual pattern - and I should have noticed that quicker. He gets incredibly stressed at the vets (as do most pets I suspect), but his body language is a bit better. He had a run outside this morning and tonight and was quicker off the blocks to go out. Sadly, time oustide wasn't long due to me going to work and then going to vets tonight.
Discharge from the eye is now very minimal - only a very small amount which was easily wiped away. I'm sure that any pressure that the infection may have had under the eye and surrounding area will be decreasing so that must also make Henry feel better.
Thank you all so much again - your support and vibes are treasured and valued so much.
Craig & Henry and Lillian xx

i'm so glad Henry is on the mend. My best wishes to them both :love:
you've certainly been through it the last few weeks, Craig! xxx

Thanks everybun - yes I have rather had a bit of a wringing these last few weeks. I dunno what I have done to deserve the present situation. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
Henry had 3rd injection a few hours ago. The vet had a bit of concern that there may still be some infection and we have a provisional appointment for tomorrow for a 4th - if things haven't really cleared up. Henry didn't have the greatest of trips tonight as there was a serious barker in the waiting room that had the loudest bark I've ever heard. Seemed to be a little out of control and Henry just went totally stiff with fright. But he's ok now. Lillian gave him a bit of a groom when he came back - a rare treat indeed. We'll see how he is in the morning.
Thank you all again. xx

Back