• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleeding foot

clairec

New Kit
Hello,
I have just registered for this forum. I am trying to find out how to help my bunny's foot which started bleeding last night. There may be info on this site, but it's 11 pages, anyone point me in the right direction? Has this covered before?

He's a Rex, 8mths old and I am aware that this problem affects them. I have also just been told that licking (by the bunny of course) isn't always the best policy as it might form an abcess. I have him in the kitchen at the moment on lino. His hutch has shavings, his run is on grass, or he lollops around our house on vinyl flooring or carpet. I feel i should keep him off the grass at the moment.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Claire

You might find the two topics below helpful.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1357
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=998

As you say rexes are more prone to this, there are some things you can do to help it. Make sure that the claws stay short and don't over grow as this makes the bun carry more weight on its heels. Also provide soft, clean surfaces. Vetbed is very good for this as it is soft and draws any moisture away from the surface. You could put this in his hutch over the wood savings and also inside when he's running about.

Its also important to keep the feet clean, easpecial if it is an open wound so I would agree with you grass/mud is probably out for now.

Your vet may also provide you with painkillers (usually metacam) which will stop your bun worrying at them because they hurt.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Hi Claire! I have just been thru a similar thing with Harley my daft as a brush youngster. Which part of the foot is it? Is it the hock or further up to the toes?

Angela

If the fur has rubbed away around his heel (hock) then from now on keep him on a very deep layer of shavings and keep applying vaseline to the wound(s) until they heal over.

You could do with keeping him off hard floors (concrete/carpet) this may also be a cause - but you are right, Rex bunnies are prone to this due to their coat being softer than others!)

Rachel

Yep, rex are very prone to sore hocks. It is most probably that - but ive never known the hocks to bleed very badly, maybe a few drops of blood as it is irritated.Carpet is actually likely to be causing your rabbits sores, the grass is fine, you wont need to keep him off that.

How bad is the blood flow? If the bleeding definately coming from his hocks?
Also, have you checked his nails? Rabbits can sometimes break their nails (sometimes right down at the quick) , causing excesive bleeding.

hth x

Back