• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside bun questions :)

Graciee

Staff member
What do you put in their runs? They have a hide but I'm not sure what else I should put in tbh. Needs to be weather proof ofc

They have a cover over half the run, I have a cover for the whole thing but I'm trying to work out how to get water to run off etc, so only have half covered atm.. Will they be okay in the rain? :( I mean they don't have to be in the rain.. There's a big two story hutch that's dry and draft free, all the wire has wood over it, and half the runs dry, and there's a hide in there.. And there's the 16ft runaround pipe.. But is it okay for them to be allowed out if its raining? Or do I keep them in the hutch? :S

Just wondering because even when I've figured out the full cover for the roof.. They could still get wet etc maybe? If they sat near the bars.. Idk [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

My two have a shed with a run attached. The run is actually in three parts. The main part of the run, the square part has a removable roof, which is put on when it's wet. The end part, which has a litter tray also has a removable roof. The other parts are open to the elements.

The main purpose of the run, as far as I am concerned, is to provide a space for exercise. The only place where there is anything is in the square part, where there is a concrete shelf along one side, some upturned logs for them to sit on and a bridge made out of two upturned logs and a plank, to encourage them to jump over it or shimmy underneath.

I don't restrict them to the shed if it's raining, but they tend not to go in places where they would get wet, but they have done on occasion. They certainly don't ever sit for long periods in the rain. There are only a few days a year when they are shut in the shed and that's been either when it's been snowing heavily or it has been massively windy.

My two have a shed with a run attached. The run is actually in three parts. The main part of the run, the square part has a removable roof, which is put on when it's wet. The end part, which has a litter tray also has a removable roof. The other parts are open to the elements.

The main purpose of the run, as far as I am concerned, is to provide a space for exercise. The only place where there is anything is in the square part, where there is a concrete shelf along one side, some upturned logs for them to sit on and a bridge made out of two upturned logs and a plank, to encourage them to jump over it or shimmy underneath.

I don't restrict them to the shed if it's raining, but they tend not to go in places where they would get wet, but they have done on occasion. They certainly don't ever sit for long periods in the rain. There are only a few days a year when they are shut in the shed and that's been either when it's been snowing heavily or it has been massively windy.
Thanks Omi :)

I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, I assume they'll stay in the dry.. But they are silly sometimes [emoji38] also, the run has bark down so no grass.. All the hay is in the hutch.. So they have to go back to the hutch to eat.. Is that okay you think? I don't want them not to eat.. Again I'm probably panicking unnecessarily [emoji38]

Positives are, they seem to love it, Apricot has been charging through the tunnel and binkying like mad, Penelope is basically blind and struggles.. But eventually got it and follows [emoji38] she was also binkying lots.

I just shut access to the run and they came upstairs for a treat :)
16b278598add1e330e59efa779fa0ba1.jpg
2c38de78a4c07ca1785be33288acac56.jpg

They're gorgeous aren't they and so much like Tui :love:

It certainly sounds OK to me. You can observe them though and if you think they are staying out in the rain too much or not going back to the hutch to eat, then you can adapt.

It all sounds good to me. When I had outdoor bunnies with a bark covered run, the hay/food was only in the shed. I never found any problems with that. They are so sweet :love:

Tunnels, cardboard boxes (lots of - all of mines favourite thing is boxes), chairs and stools and hides to sit on top of, mine have a litter tray in their pen as none of them ever sit in or even go inside their hutches. :)

Those plastic 'hideyholes' from P@H (I'm sure you can get them elsewhere) are great: Lopsy is slightly too big to go in and out of them without getting his lop-sized hips caught :lol: He ends up looking like a weird tortoise (we call it turtling). but they're best for standing on, throwing, pushing, tipping over...! Here they are on P@H: we have the blue and purple ones, we used to have an orange one but it died from 3yrs of frost :) https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...-at-home-rodent-igloo-small-animal-home-large

We also have a variety of sticks, broken plastic plant pots, a tunnel or three, the occasional willow ball, a hay cookie if it's dry... :) Lopsy makes his own entertainment by playing with a metal ring and chain on the side: Aboleth's tried it but doesn't see the appeal.

It all sounds good to me. When I had outdoor bunnies with a bark covered run, the hay/food was only in the shed. I never found any problems with that. They are so sweet :love:
Yea I'm probably over thinking it [emoji38] I was up do much in the night every time I heard something I was out there [emoji37] they're right by my window so I hear everything [emoji38] got cameras on them too [emoji51] I'm a bit ott I fear

Tunnels, cardboard boxes (lots of - all of mines favourite thing is boxes), chairs and stools and hides to sit on top of, mine have a litter tray in their pen as none of them ever sit in or even go inside their hutches. :)

I so so wish we could use cardboard still but Apricot makes it her business to eat it all and get stasis [emoji849] it's annoying because when they used to live in this hutch the large cardboard moving box from big yellow fits perfectly in the nest box area with gaps around which I used to stuff with straw to keep it extra snuggly.. But I can't do that now :(

Those plastic 'hideyholes' from P@H (I'm sure you can get them elsewhere) are great: Lopsy is slightly too big to go in and out of them without getting his lop-sized hips caught [emoji38] He ends up looking like a weird tortoise (we call it turtling). but they're best for standing on, throwing, pushing, tipping over...! Here they are on P@H: we have the blue and purple ones, we used to have an orange one but it died from 3yrs of frost :) https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...-at-home-rodent-igloo-small-animal-home-large

We also have a variety of sticks, broken plastic plant pots, a tunnel or three, the occasional willow ball, a hay cookie if it's dry... :) Lopsy makes his own entertainment by playing with a metal ring and chain on the side: Aboleth's tried it but doesn't see the appeal.

Thanks for suggestion :) I'm going to have a look at getting some things maybe for them to throw etc.

Unfortunately those plastic hides from pets at home are too small [emoji38] Penelope is massive, nearly 5kg [emoji51] Apricot is smaller but still a huge bun [emoji38][emoji38] that's the issue I have a lot of the time, it's finding size suitable things for them, they have a large hide in the run already but that's it really, even most tunnels are too small really.

The tube that takes them from hutch to run is the large runaround one, and tbh I don't think that's really big enough [emoji38] like they can easily do it, but it doesn't sound like they're hopping through it? Idk.

Back