• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

looking for some advise, 2 bunnys left :(

beccimarie

Mama Doe
Good Morning :)

I'm looking for some advise on something thats going through my mind worrying me, please no judgments or nasty comments I'm trying to find out what is best for my boys, they are my world and always have been.

iv always had a trio of bunnys in a 8 by 8 shed attached to a 8 by 8 avery they love it! 😍 sadly a few months ago my beautiful boy Clyde crossed the rainbow bridge at 9 years of age, now I only have two. we are expecting a child in February 2020 and my husband has told me no more rabbits I know this is sensible because as we all know rabbits are costly and we won't be able to afford a trio and a baby!

My question is.. Bonnie is 10 this year o know he may have another 5 years but he may not, and my youngest Loki is only 5, there will be a time when Bonnie crosses the bridge I know that :( and I can't stand the thought of loki being on his own, we can't bring him indoors as our house is quite small and we have a dog so he would need to be enclosed and we havnt any room for a big indoor enclosure.. so does this only give me one option to rehome? 😞 but I don't want him to go to anyone who will put him in a small hutch all alone else it defets the reason of me having to make the hard descion to rehome him.

I know it may be a long way off but I need some advise on what to do, as I'll be a mess when it comes to it, I'm pregnant but all I can worry about is my little bunnys I love them so much 💕

Hi, one possibility might be to foster a rabbit from a local rescue as a friend for Loki. The rescue would then cover the costs for the rabbit.

Good Morning :)

I'm looking for some advise on something thats going through my mind worrying me, please no judgments or nasty comments I'm trying to find out what is best for my boys, they are my world and always have been.

iv always had a trio of bunnys in a 8 by 8 shed attached to a 8 by 8 avery they love it! 😍 sadly a few months ago my beautiful boy Clyde crossed the rainbow bridge at 9 years of age, now I only have two. we are expecting a child in February 2020 and my husband has told me no more rabbits I know this is sensible because as we all know rabbits are costly and we won't be able to afford a trio and a baby!

My question is.. Bonnie is 10 this year o know he may have another 5 years but he may not, and my youngest Loki is only 5, there will be a time when Bonnie crosses the bridge I know that :( and I can't stand the thought of loki being on his own, we can't bring him indoors as our house is quite small and we have a dog so he would need to be enclosed and we havnt any room for a big indoor enclosure.. so does this only give me one option to rehome? 😞 but I don't want him to go to anyone who will put him in a small hutch all alone else it defets the reason of me having to make the hard descion to rehome him.

I know it may be a long way off but I need some advise on what to do, as I'll be a mess when it comes to it, I'm pregnant but all I can worry about is my little bunnys I love them so much 💕

Hello, it is so good to 'see' you again ! Many congratulations on your 'Bump' :love:, but I am very sorry to hear of Clyde's passing:cry:

I think Omi has made a good suggestion, but rehoming is also a totally understandable route to consider. It would not be you 'getting rid' of an 'unwanted' Rabbit, it would be you making the very hard decision to allow someone else to offer the Bunny a home with a friend. This you could do via a reputable Rescue (who will home check ALL prospectve Adopters). If you did that then a Donation to said Rescue would be something I would do. Infact I am already paying a monthly amount to a Reputable Rescue for the care and rehoming of my Pets when, due to chronic illness, I am not here to look after them.

Rehoming is NOT always done for selfish/uncaring reasons. Sometimes it is what is in the best interests of the longterm welfare of the Pet.

The fact that you are thinking about all this now shows that you are being responsible and caring

Lots of luck with 'Bump' and I hope you have both of your remaining Rabbits for as long as possible :love:

congratulations on your pregnancy!

such a difficult situation for you :-(
personally i would be heartbroken to have to rehome my buns. could you perhaps keep them for the medium term future? i realise you would eventually end up with just 1. perhaps delay the decision till that happens & if the solitary one is lonely look into rehoming him/her then?
you never know, someone here might be looking for another 1 or 2 buns in the near future.
i take it you have no close friends or family that could take them? (not meaning you have no close friends or family! just ones that could rehome them :D )

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I agree completely with Omi's suggestion of fostering. You could perhaps become quite pivotal to any local rescue centres as a 'halfway house' for bunnies who have been rescued but who are waiting for their forever home. It would mean you get companions for your bunnies but the downside is that those bunnies that you might foster would end up moving on. But it is a good solution to the current situation.
And the very best of luck with your pregnancy.

personally i would be heartbroken to have to rehome my buns. could you perhaps keep them for the medium term future? i realise you would eventually end up with just 1. perhaps delay the decision till that happens & if the solitary one is lonely look into rehoming him/her then?
you never know, someone here might be looking for another 1 or 2 buns in the near future.
i take it you have no close friends or family that could take them? (not meaning you have no close friends or family! just ones that could rehome them :D )

just my 2 cents.

Unless I am mistaken, re-homing isn't being considered, but looking to the future.

just my 2 cents.

I agree with this. And let's face it, when baby gets a little older he/she will be pestering you for a rabbit, as most do, so I would wait and see.

It's good to plan but try to see it as throwing ideas around rather than needing to make a firm plan at this stage.

Last year I bonded a one year old rabbit to a 5 year old, thinking that she would outlive him. She died only 3 months later. He spent the winter on his own while I was trying to work out what to do for the best. Totally out of the blue I then lost Benji (aged 5 bonded to a 7 year old rabbit). So it came together as the two solo older rabbits are now best buddies. I know you don't have this kind of option but there were a few curved balls in there so whatever plans you make are sometimes turned on their heads.

hello 💕

so lovely to hear from you after all this time, iv been very quiet on here, I was poorly for a little while. I hope you are well?

Thank you so much for your advise it really means alot coming from you. I love them both so much but I know I can't keep Loki on his on for my own benefit 😞 but I want to know he is going to be just as loved as I love him. i know it may be a long way off but I know I need to get my head straight on what I'm going to do because when Bonnie passes I will be a mess. I never thought there would be a day I would not have any rabbits in the house hold 😞 but I know my husband is right, and I would always want to give them everything they required, I always have done and always will right to our last bunny.

I would defiently donate to make sure Loki got well looked after we have a special savings for the bunnys so that would go with him to the rescue.

you have made me feel so much better, I know when the time comes I will be heartbroken but I know I need to do what it best for him.

I'm hoping I won't need to make a descion for a long time yet. Bonnie is 10 but touch wood he is the healthiest bun iv ever had 😂 (mine being all rescues have always come with additional needs bless them)

you would love them they have such characters!

how are all your bunch? 😍

20181222-083029.jpg
[/url][/IMG] that's loki :love:

Last edited:
hello ��

so lovely to hear from you after all this time, iv been very quiet on here, I was poorly for a little while. I hope you are well?

Thank you so much for your advise it really means alot coming from you. I love them both so much but I know I can't keep Loki on his on for my own benefit �� but I want to know he is going to be just as loved as I love him. i know it may be a long way off but I know I need to get my head straight on what I'm going to do because when Bonnie passes I will be a mess. I never thought there would be a day I would not have any rabbits in the house hold �� but I know my husband is right, and I would always want to give them everything they required, I always have done and always will right to our last bunny.

I would defiently donate to make sure Loki got well looked after we have a special savings for the bunnys so that would go with him to the rescue.

you have made me feel so much better, I know when the time comes I will be heartbroken but I know I need to do what it best for him.

I'm hoping I won't need to make a descion for a long time yet. Bonnie is 10 but touch wood he is the healthiest bun iv ever had �� (mine being all rescues have always come with additional needs bless them)

you would love them they have such characters!

how are all your bunch? ��

I am sorry you were poorly, but by the sounds of things all is much better now and you have a new baby on the way...........so exciting !!

I am glad we have been able to help you feel more at ease with your two Rabbits' situation and that there are various options open to you when the time comes.

I just have 6 Bunnies now, I expect you remember when I had 30+ !! No way could I cope with that many now. I have a little dog too and I named him after my 'Soul Rabbit' Inspector Morse.

Loki is a very handsome fella :love:

aww is that him in your signiture :love: 6 is still alot of wounderful furries �� I'm so happy you are still on here it's lovely to speak to a old friend at such a difficult decision for me.

yes I am all well now, I'd only just recovered mind when little man decided to make an appearance haha! but I'm a great believer things happen for a reason, me and my husband didn't think we could have children but it was a wounderful suprise!

Loki is charming! Hope all goes well with your pregnancy and a plan that is in everyone and everybun's best interests. x

Ah he's a cutie. I hope everything works out for you. I was thinking when the time comes you are fostering another bunny to keep yours company then you won't have to cover the costs. Think I've got it the wrong way round though. Anyway that's another option I guess :). Good luck with everything

Back