• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Asda Dill

loobers25

Warren Veteran
So I have a smaller asda by my house and they have a few herbs in packets. I buy all the dill and I noticed they increased their dill order from one box to four boxes a week! And then today I go in to see they one crate with fresh unpackaged dill - they have obviously ordered this specially in as it's the only fresh unpacked one they sell. I was laughing!

However...My concern is fresh unpacked dill hooman hands must have been all over it and I don't know where it's been stored before. I wouldn't have a problem if it was for myself but would you feed it do your bunnies? I understand we need a plastic free life but this dill looked a bit grim

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

So I have a smaller asda by my house and they have a few herbs in packets. I buy all the dill and I noticed they increased their dill order from one box to four boxes a week! And then today I go in to see they one crate with fresh unpackaged dill - they have obviously ordered this specially in as it's the only fresh unpacked one they sell. I was laughing!

However...My concern is fresh unpacked dill hooman hands must have been all over it and I don't know where it's been stored before. I wouldn't have a problem if it was for myself but would you feed it do your bunnies? I understand we need a plastic free life but this dill looked a bit grim

I wouldn't worry too much, but, you said it looked grim, so I wouldn't buy it for that reason personally. Dill can get like mushy and wet looking then I'm out. We buy loads of dill because Apricot and Clementine adore it.. But I'm really choosy even with the packet stuff.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I was in My ASDA yesterday and they had a lage box of fresh dill in bunches,very fresh and green,no plastic.I don't have rabbits any longer and I hate anything with aniseed flavours,loads of herbs seem to have aniseed flavour.

I wouldn't worry too much, but, you said it looked grim, so I wouldn't buy it for that reason personally. Dill can get like mushy and wet looking then I'm out. We buy loads of dill because Apricot and Clementine adore it.. But I'm really choosy even with the packet stuff.

In my area I have found asda has the best value for money and best quality. Sainsburys good quality but you get like four pieces haha. I give them dill everyday now as they love it as well. I wonder why it goes so slimy so quickly? I have found the best way for us is to wash a bunch up in the morning and snip the ends. Then leave it in a bowl of water and change the water after work. The rest I keep in the fridge

During the lean Winter months I always buy unpackaged herbs from Asda, including Dill. My Asda usually has Dill, Parsley, Mint and Coriander. The Mint is usually very good as it seems to keep better once cut. Once I get it home, I keep it in a bucket of water on the patio. I'm afraid I don't wash it :)

During the lean Winter months I always buy unpackaged herbs from Asda, including Dill. My Asda usually has Dill, Parsley, Mint and Coriander. The Mint is usually very good as it seems to keep better once cut.
I bought the 50p live pots of mint, corriander, basil and flat leaf parsley and planted them then they gone huge like garden centre ones..I am so pleased for 50p each! The mint is running a bit wild now though

Last edited:
I was in My ASDA yesterday and they had a lage box of fresh dill in bunches,very fresh and green,no plastic.I don't have rabbits any longer and I hate anything with aniseed flavours,loads of herbs seem to have aniseed flavour.
Dill reminds me of burgers!

Now, you see, I shop in Asda and I like their prices on fresh veg- so I get exactly where you are coming from Loobers. I also get the point about Hooman hand contamination cause I was wondering about this after Lillian’s latest uti. So I’m my opinion it might pay just to give any herbs and greens a quick rinse- it may not remove all nasty bugs and stuff but it might wash some stuff off. As for dill, I’ll have to try that this weekend. I gave up buying the pots of herbs cause the eating machine otherwise known as Lillian just demolished them in a day. All we’ve got left is stalks!

I buy Dill from Morrison’s, which unfortunately comes in a plastic packet but it says on the side you can freeze it! Has anyone experience of freezing dill? Sometimes Morrison’s don’t have it in so I’m considering bulk buying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy Dill from Morrison’s, which unfortunately comes in a plastic packet but it says on the side you can freeze it! Has anyone experience of freezing dill? Sometimes Morrison’s don’t have it in so I’m considering bulk buying!

I'm surprised by this. I've never tried it, but I would have thought it would be mushy when it defrosted.

It won't be suitable for rabbits if it has been frozen. Most herbs go a bit mushy once defrosted, but would be OK for cooking with.

I'm surprised by this. I've never tried it, but I would have thought it would be mushy when it defrosted.

It won't be suitable for rabbits if it has been frozen. Most herbs go a bit mushy once defrosted, but would be OK for cooking with.

Thanks both [emoji846] I did wonder!

To be honest, doesn’t matter how much dill I buy, it doesn’t seem to last long enough to freeze with our two anyway :lol: :lol:

I've very recently started buying my bunnies' herbs from the Turkish supermarket down the road. I really wish I'd started doing it sooner. I've been getting big bunches of dill, coriander and parsley which all look lovely and fresh and are much cheaper than the packets I used to get from the supermarkets.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I've very recently started buying my bunnies' herbs from the Turkish supermarket down the road. I really wish I'd started doing it sooner. I've been getting big bunches of dill, coriander and parsley which all look lovely and fresh and are much cheaper than the packets I used to get from the supermarkets.

When I lived in Hull I used to get mine from a similar kind of place, they were humungous bundles for 65p (a few years back). I used to buy Ralph 2 everyday on the way back from work

We have an international supermarket near by, it's the same thing, dirt cheap and huge amounts, they also have different kinds of things you don't normally see - always buy stuff in there :)

We have an international supermarket near by, it's the same thing, dirt cheap and huge amounts, they also have different kinds of things you don't normally see - always buy stuff in there :)

They're real gold mines aren't they!

When I lived in Hull I used to get mine from a similar kind of place, they were humungous bundles for 65p (a few years back). I used to buy Ralph 2 everyday on the way back from work
My shop is 79p for one big bunch or 2 for £1.20. Can't argue with those prices!

Back