• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Owning Lop Eared Rabbits is 'Cruel'

Breeding them is, owning them (ie adopting them) isn't
Bit worrying though, that people might see that and not adopt lop eared buns.

I actually fell in love with two lops up for adoption the other day [emoji7]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Lop ears can lead to more problems but how can owning lop earred rabbits be cruel???

I agree it is breeding for looks like designer dogs that is the problem. Actually owning one (from a rescue ideally so as not to fund the breeding of less healthy rabbits) is not really the problem, badly worded article imo.

Last edited:
Bit worrying though, that people might see that and not adopt lop eared buns.

I actually fell in love with two lops up for adoption the other day [emoji7]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
dear graciee,-how very true,.how much of any news is news??-,there are those that eatup everybit as true--sincerely james waller

Lillian is most upset by this news. She is proposing to cancel her subscription to the telegraph.
She says that she has a particularly healthy appetite and has no trouble at all eating - which is also substantiated and supported by Henry who can't get near the food bowl.

I think all domestic rabbit breeds have there own health Issues, whether dwarf rabbits are dental, lops similar ears etc. Rexes sore hocks, and giants heart disease

I think all domestic rabbit breeds have there own health Issues, whether dwarf rabbits are dental, lops similar ears etc. Rexes sore hocks, and giants heart disease

i think you're probably right there, mini lop.

my 2 lop-ears have passed on now, but i'm sure they were either deaf as a post or the ears interfered with their hearing. if i approached them from behind they would be extremely startled when i came into their view.
it used to worry me as with the ordinary sticky-up-ears buns i had before i could tell if there was a cat around long before i saw it from their alertness.

i think you're probably right there, mini lop.

my 2 lop-ears have passed on now, but i'm sure they were either deaf as a post or the ears interfered with their hearing. if i approached them from behind they would be extremely startled when i came into their view.
it used to worry me as with the ordinary sticky-up-ears buns i had before i could tell if there was a cat around long before i saw it from their alertness.

i agree with you both. All breeds will have their problems that a wildie wouldn't :(

Boo is completely deaf & Mouse definitely can't hear much, if anything - she doesn't startle though.

I like a rabbit that looks like a rabbit. Boo was my first lop, she was the only female rescue available for Joe. I'm glad fate took me to her though

Back