• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sorry, I'm being paranoid...... again

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Totti had a few poo problems whilst he was living on his own. Now he's merrily co-habiting with Brody but how will I tell when somethings wrong? It was the absence of poos before - that don't work now. He's not himself today. when I let them out, instead of binkying around, he found a quiet spot and hid. He's not devoured the pellets and we've just had a mega cuddling session, when he didn't move a muscle. I can't go to the vets with a vague behaviour trait, not even a symptom... they will really think I've lost the plot this time.

Good question, with three buns now living together (have put Honey with Mo and Az and they seem to be ok) I often wonder the same thing - when Hobo was poorly, it was impossible to know if he had passed anything as he was sharing with Honey. The only was to be sure would be to separate them for a while. How does his tum feel? Does it feel bloated at all ?
Sorry - I am probably not helping.

To be fair I have gone to the vets with even vaguer symptoms than that!

My vet is pretty understanding and knows the statement "he just wasn't himself" all too well!!

Caz

Thanks Julie and Caz..
Julie - I really wouldn't know what a bloated tum felt like but his diet is now predominentely hay so I wouldn't expect that.
Caz- that is so reassuring.
I'll see how he is tomorrow and if I'm still concerned, will go to the vets, however vague... My vets are really good. When I had gerbils and 1 had to go in for an op - it stayed there overnight but dind't survive the op and I was distraught. They were very sympathetic that this woman in her mid 40's was bawling her eyes out over a gerbil.

An animal "not being itself" is an excellent symptom, as animals, especially small furries, don't show pain and illness very much. Think of it this way, in the wild, they're prey. Always. If they sit around, looking like they feel poorly, the predators will notice, and instantly go for that animal. It's a naturally in-built defence mechanism.

If you think your bun's out of it's normal doing, it's a perfectly legit symptom, no vet or nurse I know would laugh at you or turn you away!

Maaike_Butter said:
An animal "not being itself" is an excellent symptom, as animals, especially small furries, don't show pain and illness very much. Think of it this way, in the wild, they're prey. Always. If they sit around, looking like they feel poorly, the predators will notice, and instantly go for that animal. It's a naturally in-built defence mechanism.

If you think your bun's out of it's normal doing, it's a perfectly legit symptom, no vet or nurse I know would laugh at you or turn you away!

thanks, I'll defintely review it when I get back from work tomorrow.

Yes..Jill..as you know I am no expert but ..just like kids..you "know" something is not quite right. Please keep us posted about him..it is such a worry.

love from

luvabun, every good mum knows when her bun is not quite right, and you are obviously a good mum! :) It's like having kids, you can always tell when somethings wrong. Go with your gut feelings on this one, if you are not happy in any way come tomorrow, then pop him along to see the vet.
I hope he picks up soon :)

Edit: hehe Marlene, you took the words right outta my mouth, and beat me to the post ;)

I agree - wouldn't worry about just saying 'he's not himself'. I'm sure my vet thinks I'm loopy, but she always tells me if I'm in any doubt as to how the buns are, to take them in. Worth it, even for my own piece of mind :)

Rob has had several statis bouts, and I also worry that lack of poos are the first obvious sign. Now that Molly is with us, it is very hard to know exactly who's doing what. If I every think Rob isn't himself, I seperate them overnight - Molly has the bedroom and Rob has hall at the top of the stairs, seperated by a baby gate so they can sniff and still see each other. That way I know for sure who has done what :)

When I get up to loads of poos I do feel a bit bad for seperating them. Molly is normally sitting at the baby gate with a look on her wee face like 'wheres me man'. :oops: I did give her a teddy overnight, but she let me know what she thought of that when she peed on it :? :wink:

When I was last at the vets she stood behind the bunnie and felt in the lower tummy area and said she could feel things in his gut. Presumably the formed droppings are there. But yess I have gone on less than what you have there

luvabun said:
Thanks Julie and Caz..
Julie - I really wouldn't know what a bloated tum felt like but his diet is now predominentely hay so I wouldn't expect that.
You would know if you felt one - imagine his usual abdomen as a half inflated balloon - a bloated tum is a fully inflated one.

Towsbuns said:
luvabun said:
Thanks Julie and Caz..
You would know if you felt one - imagine his usual abdomen as a half inflated balloon - a bloated tum is a fully inflated one.

I don't know much about bloat either but from what you said Julie, its sounds just like us humans. Suddenly your stomach is bloated, hard to touch, you feel miserable and just lounge on the settee, your not hungry and you cannot go to the toilet.

I take it that a buns tummy is quite firm when they have bloat then :?:

Lynn said:
I

I did give her a teddy overnight, but she let me know what she thought of that when she peed on it :? :wink:

1.gif

There's a fair few poos in the hutch, I think too much for one bun - its hard to tell how many as one of them has regressed and no longer uses the litter tray. Grrrrr. I let them out in the kitchen and Totti jumped out of my arms in a proper feisty strop. I also let them out and he did a few leaps in the garden so I think its fair to say, there's nowt wrong with him. His tum felt normal.

Thanks for all your reassurances that I'm not the only one suffering from bunny paranoia :oops: or is that just being a good Mum :wink:

Back