• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonfires and smoke

OliveTree

Warren Scout
I'm doing a few posts today - I hope that's ok as a new member with lots of questions!

We've been thinking about the best place to locate rabbit home and run, and we thought we'd found the perfect spot when I remembered that a neighbour at the back (not someone we know, unfortunately), likes to have bonfires at the end of their garden, which unfortunately is right by us. This is maybe once a month or so - it seems to have been less this year than last, but of course they may have been having them when we've been out. How much of an issue is this for a rabbit? I wondered about putting in some more plants to make kind of natural barrier, but would that make any difference? There is a hedge in between currently, but it's a bit patchy.

I wouldn't want rabbits next to a bonfire. Even a brief fire will smoke for hours after.
Frequent bonfires as classed as a nuisance and can be reported to your local council. They are really bad for anyone with breathing / lung issues.

Thanks Shimmer. They really are a nuisance! I don't know how frequent they would need to be before I could report them. I'm mildly asthmatic and it always makes me cough, plus I like to hang washing outside when I can. But I can go out (and do, if I can), and washing can be rewashed.

Thanks Shimmer. They really are a nuisance! I don't know how frequent they would need to be before I could report them. I'm mildly asthmatic and it always makes me cough, plus I like to hang washing outside when I can. But I can go out (and do, if I can), and washing can be rewashed.
dear olive tree,-can you locate the bun in the house,probably the only way to avoid smoke,it is an inhalation hazard.,,and if it gets in your living space there is recourse..i don,t know is your in the city limits,but the fire dept. would care.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

House rabbits are impossible, sadly, for reasons I won't go into in a public forum. We're going to look at the possible locations again though to put as much space between rabbits and neighbours as possible.

Some local authorities ban garden bonfires,they shouldn't be necessary in these days of garden waste recycling etc.Years ago we had eejits (drugies) a few blocks down who thought the best way to dispose of a kid's plastic paddling pool was to set it on fire.Toxic bloody smoke and the fire brigade were called.Thankfully they were eventually evicted.

Ruth. Glad the authorities dealt with it, katty. As you say, there's no need for it now that councils will take garden waste (ours has a charge, but it's not too expensive).

Back