• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Third bunny?

cycas

Young Bun
I have a middle-aged female bunny, and an elderly female bunny. Neither are spayed and the old one, Amber, is too old to be done now.

Though she is quite healthy, I suspect Amber may not be around for more than another year or so, and Elise will be very lonely when she dies. Elise might like a younger partner, as she is quite an active rabbit, whereas Amber (dozy minilop) just likes to sleep.

So, any advice or thoughts on adding a third bunny as a friend for Elise? (my local bunny rescue is apparently bursting at the seams at the moment, so it seems right to offer a home if I can).

Someone suggested a neutered male, but I probably won't be able to find one already neutered, and I don't currently have a spare rabbit house. I suppose I could get one, or he could live in our shed as a temporary measure.

Many rescues have a neutering policy and the rabbits are done before they leave - don't any of the ones in your area neuter?

The only problem may be that putting a male in there could cause the two females to fall out as they are still hormonal.

Caz

I haven't contacted them yet (I am still at the 'is this a good idea' stage) so I'm not sure of their neutering policy. I was looking at Max ( http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=1501 - he's not vaccinated and they say they have 60 others waiting for homes as well, so I'm guessing the budget may be too tight for all buns to be automatically neutered on arrival.

I would get any new bunny neutered myself if not already done, but I understand that it can be a while from neutering to the buck being completely safe around unneutered females: given their age I don't want to take risks. Do you feel a neutered buck would be a good idea, or would another doe be a better bet?

Seeing as your girls aren't speyed, I'd suggest another female. Males can keep their hormones (and thus hormonal tendencies) for 6 weeks, which could cause problems...

You could get a neutered buck which was done a long time ago (1+ years), or keep them seperated until his hormones run out, if you have him done...

He there, I know how you feel. I wanted to get Toby "done" as I would have liked to bond him with a female - but he wouldn't get through the op either. Ids probably say maybe a neutered male as two female could fight...well all mine did at some point.

Maybe you could arrange with the rescue to neuter him for you before you collect him as long as you pay for the op in advance. That would at least cut down on the time you'd need to keep them separated in your home.

hmm, that's not a bad idea Bertie. I'll contact them and just see if they have any neutered boys in, and if not, see if anything can be arranged.

No-one has said the whole idea is a daft one anyway, so that's a good start!

Whereabouts are you in the UK? Tracy at RNGP in Warwickshire has the lovely Budget in who is already neutered and has been waiting for a home for a while. He is lovely, and seems really placid.

I am in Gunnislake, Cornwall. My local rescue is Plymouth. I've just emailled them to ask if they have any neutered males in.

Back