• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!! Bonding Problems

Joaust

New Kit
Help! We have recently rescued a Flemish Giant Rabbit (called Mr Magica) about 3 months ago he is a lovely bun and very inquisitive. He has been known to bite sometimes, but it is generally when he is being picked up or when we are in his way - he seems to be very bossy! He is a house rabbit and he lives in our kitchen/dining room area which is bunny proofed and is completely litter trained.

I have had rabbits before and know that they are social animals so decided it would be kinder for him to live with another rabbit. This is where our problems have started. We have adopted another bunny, also a rescue one, she is smaller than him (he is a giant!) and is very placid and calm and loves being cuddled. We have kept them in separate cages so that they get used to each other and he is allowed out as per normal. We introduced them on neutral ground (our bathroom) and he started biting her and jumping on her. He has pulled out large clumps of her fur on her back and she now has bald patches and some scabs.

She is so frightened of him than when I tried to introduce them again, a couple of days later, he ran at her growling and she ended up jumping onto my lap and stuggled in my arms (I was sitting on the floor at the time). He is obviously not happy her being around as he has also decided to jump on my dining room chairs and rip and bite the material (he has never done this before)!

I'm really not sure if there is any hope, she is such a lovely bunny and he is a big bully - is there anything we can do? Because of his size i am scared he is going to hurt her. Is it kinder to not try and introduce them again? And has anyone ever had a similar situation which has turned out OK?

What do I do next?

Ouch! Over to the experts but it don't sound good. You must have been horrified when your poor little mite was bullied so badly.

I am very worried as she is so lovely I am scared he has mentally scarred her for life. I am not sure what to do if they don't bond, as I could keep her but I wouldn't want to keep her on her own and that would mean trying to bond her with another bun!

Does anyone have any experience of a bunny that is a bully? Is there anyway to bring them back down to earth, I think I is trying to rule the roost, not just with her but with me and my husband too!

I have a bunny like that too, who is such a bully! My son is scared stiff of him! I handle him with knee high boots and a pair of ski gloves and put him in his cage for time out if he gets too bossy!!! :lol: I'd love to hear other peoples suggestions on how to cope!

I was very worried about bonding him with my little bun as he is fairly big and she is a dwarf cross :? but despite being soaked in wee and squashed numerous times it didn't seem to phase her, she kept going back for more :shock: though if I saw him biting I separated them!

I'm in the same boat i have had Sugar (Female) since april and she is now about 8 months old i just got another female Misty to live with her i put them both in neutrel ground (The kitchen) and sugar growled and was ripping fur out of her!! :( poor little girl!! Sugar has growled and bit both my Sister and Brother :twisted: and they are Scared Stiff of her!! she has never growled or bit me Apart from when we moved she had to go in the carrier she just gave me light nip. :oops:
I really would like to know how to get them along
Please helps us!!!

Back