• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonging/Neutering questions

Fluffybunny

Warren Scout
Hiya,

I am looking into the idea of putting Poppy (10 month buck) and Speckle (18 month doe) together so they can have a bit of company.

The only problem is, both are un neutered as of yet (will be getting done in the new year) and have totally opposite personalities!!! Poppy is very lively and friendly, always on the go...and speckle is a nasty, territorial doe who is lazy and fat :roll: and I dont know if they will be a good match :?:

I would wait to see, after the op, how Speckles behaviour changes towards me (and see if she stops attacking me!) and try to calm her wild streak! before putting her near poppy to introduce.

How would i go about introducing them? Do they sound like a good match..i dont think so....and what size hutch would they need if they were together? Poppy, a largeand lively dwarf lop is in a 3ft X 2ft at the mo and speckle in a 4ft X 1.5 ft.

Thanks

P.S. now its the Xmas hols i look forward to posting alot more than i usually would!

Hopefully after neutering you'll see an improvement in Speckles behaviour, this can take a few weeks though so don't expect over night results. If Speckles is over weight then she will need to lose that before having her op so start dieting now!

To diet reduce the amount of pellets, increase the amount of hay and make sure she has plenty of exersise time in a run or spare (bunny proof) room. Toys also help promote exersise.

When you introduce them do it somewhere neutral. If you put another bun near Speckles hutch you'll probably find she would attack it however in a neutral area even if she doesn't lose the hutch territorial behaviour she may get on with another bunny fine.

The minimum hutch size is 4'x2' with regular out time in a run or an attached run. To be honest I would say 3'x2' is a little on the small side for a dwarf lop unless there is a run as well and thats just the bed/snoozing area.

Its difficult to judge matches, sometimes the oddest pair can be great friends!

Tamsin

Hiya

thanks Tamsin,

How does an un-neutered doe (not territorial is this one), and a neutered buck get on???

Just looking at all my options first!!!

Rachel

Its really down to the individual bunnies. Sometimes an unneutered doe will pair with a neutered buck. Generally bondings are easier if all the buns are neutered though.

Tam

Hi,

Thanks :smile: The un-neutered doe i have here (Fluffy) is the softest/daftest thing ever and loves any other bunny that she meets through the bars of her hutch!!!

Also she has a double hutch (2 storey) so more suited for a pair :wink:

Rachel xx

Back