• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little bump under belly after spay?

Maddie220790

Young Bun
Hi all!

So, a brief update for those that may not know the situation with Peanut previously...
She was recently spayed and a lump removed alongside which was on her ovary. She had her update at the vets two weeks later (now just over a month ago) and the vet was very happy and said she had recovered beautifully. She also had a dental done and teeth removed and injections for mites and she honestly looks like a new bunny now! All fur has grown back and she is eating and drinking well as normal.

However, I noticed a week or so ago that she has a tiny lump on the inside just next to her spay scar - not on the scar itself. It is hard but moves around when you touch it. Peanut doesn't appear to be in any distress and the lump hasn't grown at all.
Having read a few things about this as it is post-spay - could this be a hernia as she was difficult to keep on the ground and stop jumping around after the op!?

She has another appointment scheduled in to check dental at the end of October.

Just to add - her pees and poops are normal! Looking up images, I would say the lump is in the region of her bladder but she shows no symptoms of bladder stones... It feels more like just under the skin.

*The vet that operated was brilliant but is an hour away and requires hiring a car. Since I took her to both my local ones and one nearly dropped her and the other didn't notice the dental issues which were causing her stasis before the spaying... I don't trust taking her back there!

Thank you in advance to any advice!

Last edited:
Hi all!

So, a brief update for those that may not know the situation with Peanut previously...
She was recently spayed and a lump removed alongside which was on her ovary. She had her update at the vets two weeks later (now just over a month ago) and the vet was very happy and said she had recovered beautifully. She also had a dental done and teeth removed and injections for mites and she honestly looks like a new bunny now! All fur has grown back and she is eating and drinking well as normal.

However, I noticed a week or so ago that she has a tiny lump on the inside just next to her spay scar - not on the scar itself. It is hard but moves around when you touch it. Peanut doesn't appear to be in any distress and the lump hasn't grown at all.
Having read a few things about this as it is post-spay - could this be a hernia as she was difficult to keep on the ground and stop jumping around after the op!?

She has another appointment scheduled in to check dental at the end of October.

Just to add - her pees and poops are normal! Looking up images, I would say the lump is in the region of her bladder but she shows no symptoms of bladder stones... It feels more like just under the skin.

*The vet that operated was brilliant but is an hour away and requires hiring a car. Since I took her to both my local ones and one nearly dropped her and the other didn't notice the dental issues which were causing her stasis before the spaying... I don't trust taking her back there!

Thank you in advance to any advice!

Without being able to actually see/feel the lump it's impossible to say for certain what it is. It may just be a minor reaction to the suture material used after her spay. The only way to ascertain what the lump is is to get Peanut examined by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. So I'd book an appointment for her next week :)

Back