• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thread About Lord Herbert - U/D 16th Oct - Doing Better Now :-)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Lord Herbert has a lot of complex health problems of unknown origin, probably genetic. The condition affects his GI tract, his central nervous system and his heart. He also has Rabbit Papilloma Virus affecting his ears, his right eye and his genitals. Lord H is now 5 and a half years of age and his health problems became apparent after he was neutered. The neutering was not straight forward and he nearly died. Since then we (me and my Rabbit Savvy Vet) have been managing his condition based on what symptoms present at any given time. These can include GI tract issues, seizures, ear and eye infections.

Despite all of his problems Lord H always seems very 'up beat' and he never stops eating. Not once in his life has he stopped eating. He requires a huge amount of daily hands on care, which he takes in his stride. He will gulp down his various medications without me even having to pick him up. He almost eats the syringe most times !!

However, over the last 24 hours he has had 3 quite severe seizures and on examination it has been found that his heart problems have deteriorated A LOT :cry: Whether the extreme heat is playing a part in his deterioration I dont know, but it would not surprise me.

I guess I am posting this thread as I really do fear that there is a real possibility that I will lose Lord H in the near future. If he was 'suffering' within himself or in pain, not eating, depressed and uninterested in anything I would of course let him go today. But within himself he is just as happy as ever and although he is much less active (due to his heart condition) he still loves his food, potters about his enclosure with Roisin and buzzes and hums when he sees me :lol:

I dont want to lose Lord H but I know it is inevitable, my Vet did not think he'd see his first Birthday so I guess he has done well to get to 5 and a half years.

Some vibes would be appreciated, that he does not have any more seizures today and that he remains happy within himself

Dxn3LW8.jpg

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes, I hope he will stabilise and be happy for a long time to come xx

Oh Jane (((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))))))
First, don't worry about posting your concerns. That is what the forum is for. I fully empathize with Lord H's situation as Pip had her first real seizure during a very hot summer where the humidity was also high and I was never more terrified for an animal in my life. To have multiple seizure disorder in a beloved pet is beyond horrific for the owner. Thank God the pet usually has no idea what has just happened beyond maybe being exhausted afterwards. But the new heart issue must be very hard to deal with. I know my arrhythmia is worse during hot days and I have to keep as cool as possible not to aggravate it.

Many, many healing vibes on the way for Dear Lord H and comforting thoughts for you. He's been so blessed to have you caring for him as I'm certain that has much to do with his longevity against such dire odds. :love: xxxxxxxx

Sending Lord H lots of vibes Jane xxx

It is so hot at the moment so it could be playing a part in him not being so good.

We have been keeping Rambo as cool as possible so the heat does not put a strain on his heart too xxx

You and your vet have done an amazing job for Lord H given he has so many health problems. It's also a great testament to his big character that he has such a zest for life.

I'm sending him millions of vibes that he remains stable and that he has no more seizures today x

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Sending many positive vibes for Lord H and you.
It is a testament to your wonderful caregiving that he has survived for so many years. That being said, I must give credit to Lord H too. He does not give up, even when the odds seemed stacked against him.
Keep up the good work Jane, you too Lord H.

Thank you :) Lord H has not had any seizures for over 24 hours and as it is a lot cooler at the moment he is more active. He's stuffing his face with forage as I type :love: I know he's on borrowed time, but I am trying very hard not to think further forward than today x

I'm sorry I didn't see this yesterday. I hope that Lord H can remain as stable as possible and add my vibes for him.

Glad Lord H hasn't had any more seizures. He looks such a lovely, gentle, philosophical kind of bun who just gets on with life and has his priorities fixed firmly on when his next meal is appearing :) Hope I am not tempting fate but I have never had a bun who has had seizures. It sounds terrifying but I think the fact he has survived for so long and is enjoying a good quality of life is due to your amazing care and C's professional expertise.

Sending him lots and lots of vibes xxxx

Lord H had another severe seizure a couple of days ago :cry: His recovery took a bit longer than usual. It has also been noted that he is losing weight, despite eating really well. He will probably be having some more blood tests next week.

However, today he is a happy lad and I am trying not to think of all the 'what ifs' the next few weeks may bring.

b359RQq.jpg

He certainly looks happy :love: I’m sorry he’s had another seizure :cry: sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

He certainly looks happy :love: I’m sorry he’s had another seizure :cry: sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Thank you. It is amazing how he is so calm about it all. I am a complete wreck every time he has a fit, but I have to try to pretend I am also really calm. Once he is stable enough to be left alone I retreat to the loo for a cry :oops:

Aww bless him,he's such a gentle looking soul.The only comfort is he is not aware what's going on and hopefully it does not cause him too much discomfort.You as the witness etc do and you feel for him as well as yourself.Hugs to you and nose rubs for him xx.

What a beautiful bunny. I’m so sorry to hear he is not well. Look after yourself too, Jane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back