• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning and Disinfecting for E Cuniculi

Hi there,
I'm experiencing the same dilemma, trying to establish a cleaning regime that will combat and kill e c.
I lost my boy Peanut because of this deadly parasite. I am now trying to make Monkey his partner safe.
She has showed no symptoms currently thank God.
My bun monkey is being treated with panacur. We r nearing completion of her 28 day course.
Cleaning:
All litter trays have been cleaned daily/every other day, with a 10% diluted bleach solution. My buns are indoor buns so I need to clean carpets and hard floors as well.
Hard floors: I use a product call ANIGENE. This is a product that vets use to clean their practices. It is defra approved, cruelty free product. Safe for rabbits/animals and kills e c, according to my vet and advised by a bunny rescue centre who swear by it.
Again, slightly diluted solution.
You can get flavoured or unflavoured. I use the unflavoured/clear solution to bissell my carpets with. (Bissell is an uptight carpet cleaner for those who don't know). I've also used anigene to clean my patio, 10% diluted solution, watering can, poor over flag stones and just let dry.
Monkey isn't allowed access to the lawn for another 3 months. Spores r shed through urine for a 3 month period. I believe the 3 month period starts after medicating is complete, not sure, I'm presuming after meds just to b on safe side.
I will disinfect all floor surfaces, daily for this period.
Daily cleaning hard floor surfaces. once/twice a wk for carpeted areas. cleaning litter trays every 1 to 2 days.
I feed my buns hay in litter tray, so I have used a hay rack within litter tray to keep hay and litter separate.
I also have a misting bottle which again I fill a diluted solution of clear anigene which i spray as often as i can on furniture, in front of litter trays etc.
All toys that I am unable to clean with bleach, have been thrown away.
If anyone has anything that they can add or advise to this regime, please let me know.
Thanks guys and good luck
Anigene can b purchased from amazon or ebay

Hi there,
I'm experiencing the same dilemma, trying to establish a cleaning regime that will combat and kill e c.
I lost my boy Peanut because of this deadly parasite. I am now trying to make Monkey his partner safe.
She has showed no symptoms currently thank God.
My bun monkey is being treated with panacur. We r nearing completion of her 28 day course.
Cleaning:
All litter trays have been cleaned daily/every other day, with a 10% diluted bleach solution. My buns are indoor buns so I need to clean carpets and hard floors as well.
Hard floors: I use a product call ANIGENE. This is a product that vets use to clean their practices. It is defra approved, cruelty free product. Safe for rabbits/animals and kills e c, according to my vet and advised by a bunny rescue centre who swear by it.
Again, slightly diluted solution.
You can get flavoured or unflavoured. I use the unflavoured/clear solution to bissell my carpets with. (Bissell is an uptight carpet cleaner for those who don't know). I've also used anigene to clean my patio, 10% diluted solution, watering can, poor over flag stones and just let dry.
Monkey isn't allowed access to the lawn for another 3 months. Spores r shed through urine for a 3 month period. I believe the 3 month period starts after medicating is complete, not sure, I'm presuming after meds just to b on safe side.
I will disinfect all floor surfaces, daily for this period.
Daily cleaning hard floor surfaces. once/twice a wk for carpeted areas. cleaning litter trays every 1 to 2 days.
I feed my buns hay in litter tray, so I have used a hay rack within litter tray to keep hay and litter separate.
I also have a misting bottle which again I fill a diluted solution of clear anigene which i spray as often as i can on furniture, in front of litter trays etc.
All toys that I am unable to clean with bleach, have been thrown away.
If anyone has anything that they can add or advise to this regime, please let me know.
Thanks guys and good luck
Anigene can b purchased from amazon or ebay

Hello

I am very sorry that you lost one of your Rabbits to EC :cry: It sounds as though you are being extremely vigilant about a cleaning regime.

The only thing I can add is that a Steam Cleaner can be used to clean carpeted areas.

I have asked for your post to be made into a new thread as the one you posted on is actually 10 years old. So people may be able to offer some additional up-to-date advice if a new thread is started :)

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply. The carpeted areas here aren't very big, so I am able to bissell quite effectively I feel, using the diluted Anigene but thank you for the advise. I've now found another source a pdf I was able to download from the RWAF website that also clarifies that Anigene, that used to b, Trigene, is effective in killing e c spores. Just to let u know my findings. Now I have it from 3 sources, I'm considering ditching bleach altogether and just using anigene. Hate bleach. Your thoughts?

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply. The carpeted areas here aren't very big, so I am able to bissell quite effectively I feel, using the diluted Anigene but thank you for the advise. I've now found another source a pdf I was able to download from the RWAF website that also clarifies that Anigene, that used to b, Trigene, is effective in killing e c spores. Just to let u know my findings. Now I have it from 3 sources, I'm considering ditching bleach altogether and just using anigene. Hate bleach. Your thoughts?

I use Anigene HLD4V High Level Disinfectant Cleaner :)

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Anigene...uA7eO8qaqrZazpCtgV09rbIV3iGMLdxRoCwIEQAvD_BwE

Back