• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to bond Lionheads

toriiiaah

New Kit
Hello, I have a Lionhead female rabbit who’s 5 month old (6 on the 7th of September) and recently bought a male lionhead to keep her company. Both of course are not neutered or spayed and have separate cages so that they don’t fight as I know rabbits are very territorial animals. I let them out in my living room to run around and exercise together after a night of keeping their cages next to each other. My male rabbit keeps running after the female making little noises (can’t really describe what it sounds like as I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything like it.) but my female rabbit keeps running away into her cage. Should I separate them or is that just part of the bonding process. They do sniff each other and my male does try to hump her head, so I separate it as soon as possible so it doesn’t escalate as they’re too young to reproduce at this moment in time. What are the best ways to bond them, there is a 3 month difference between them as the male is younger.

Spay the female, neuter the boy. Wait up to 10 weeks after ops (I usually wait 12 just to be sure all hormones are settled and everyone is healed up and fully recovered). Then try the bonding. In the meantime, don’t let them in contact of each other unless you want to quickly increase your rabbit numbers!!!

Your female could already be pregnant - are you prepared for babies ie more space etc and please don't let them out together until they are neutered, unless you want babies :cry: The female is still young to have babies, this doesn't mean she can't get pregnant.

Back