• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe woods for rabbits

Hannah1x

New Kit
Hi

I’ve recently emailed someone at RWAF about safe woods for rabbits and they said mahogany and oak are ok. I have a large outdoor kennel ready for my two baby rabbits (they’re inside at the moment as they’re too young to go outside) and I want to make ladders, shelving, hideaways for them. I went on another forum site to see what people thought and someone said these woods should be avoided. Someone said using kiln dried pine is suitable. I was just wondering if anyone could help.

I cannot tell you much about wood for construction, yet I have heard many bunny sites say to avoid using aromatic and softwood shavings like pine in pens and litterboxes because of their vapor. Good ventilation can negate some of these concerns. Also, some shavings have a lot of sawdust which I avoid. In my own experience, I have used lab quality pine shavings in the litterboxes of some bunnies (due to cost, availability, and bunnies who ate liter materials not suitable for eating) and did not find ill effects.

Last edited:
Back