• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Sonic/bunny safe repellents!?

Nic.

Warren Scout
Hello everyone

I've just moved into a new flat and I'm finding beetles [emoji51] Only around one a day on average so far but I found one floating in Fred's water bowl and I'm really not a fan of insects and want to keep them away. I want to try a Sonic repellent such as this:

Ultrasonic Pest Repeller,2019 Upgraded Electronic Mouse Repeller, Rat Control - Insect & Rodent Repellent For Mosquitos, Flies, Wasps, Ants, Spiders, Bed Bugs, Fleas, Roaches, Rats, Mice (4 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QJ2GS9P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cMqwDbRRZ5AQZ

Anyone had any luck with them? Are they safe for rabbit ears? If not, what else can I use? I could move him into my bedroom for a couple of days if I need to put something down but he won't have any room in there so he'd just be in a crate. Not ideal even for a short time.

Also, here's a photo of Fred looking very handsome.
cef549d71864fec5059faf312a6ae6e8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve no idea I’m afraid, but Fred is gorgeous :love:

Do you know what the beetles are?

I’ve no idea I’m afraid, but Fred is gorgeous :love:

Do you know what the beetles are?
Thank you!

No idea what kind they are. They're small and black. Attaching a pic incase anyone else knows.

Have gone mad this morning putting masking tape around my skirting boards to see if that stops them in the meantime haha.
ef2a0238c4a0f7757635c9f379034520.jpg

Could be weevils,if you google indoor weevils.They can appear indoors June to August,they are attracted to moisture.They are totally black.I'm no good at posting links.

I agree that Fred is looking very handsome.

The beetles are unlikely to be harmful to you or Fred, but are not something you want in the flat. If you can identify the beetle and find out its food source, you have a better chance of getting rid of them. A photo taken from above with an indication of size (eg next to a coin) would be helpful.

Meanwhile, how about some sticky traps?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Cra...=gateway&sprefix=insect+trap+,aps,255&sr=8-11

I agree that Fred is a handsome bunny. It would be best if you could identify the beetles before you can control them. Do you know if anyone else in your building has these same insects?

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll update with a proper pic when I next see one. I doubt anyone else in the building has them as I'm the only flat on the ground floor but I'll ask. There are quite large gaps between my skirting boards and floor and also a missing skirting board with a hole in the wall (lovely place I've moved into as you can tell [emoji849]) so they might be getting in through there.

I'm on the ground floor with a garden,often get various beetles betc coming in from the garden,especially woodlice,the fact it's rained most of August up here isn't helping.

With a lot of insects, the best way of getting rid of them is to remove their food source. There will always be gaps big enough for them to get in, but they won't bother if there's no reason to. The other thing to try is to remove any cover from around the outside wall of the building - weeds, plants, piles of debris, etc that give them somewhere safe before they come inside. If there's a clear 'barrier' for them to cross, they will be less likely to as they may get eaten by something else on the way.

They may also be coming through from other flats who have the food source and you are just getting the odd stray one.

Back