• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opinion from you guys please

Annie_90

Young Bun
Hi all. Went out to my rabbits this morning who were in their shed. One of them has always been a lot more laid back, goes into deep sleeps, plays a bit less. But this morning he just seems more tired. He was asleep when I went in the shed but hasn't really woken completely - he's out in his run, got him to go in there swiftly enough (currently using one not adjoined to the shed) but he said no to his breakfast. Got him eating leaves instead, and he's had a heap of grass which is routine in this season. Did later get him to eat a few bites of breakfast (veggies) from my hand. He's also pooing and weeing. I've got my SO to check for flystrike while I held him and he's confident there's nothing there. Rabbit had a cleaning session after that.

The one difference we've made is that I run out of our usual timothy hay unexpectedly so while we wait for a delivery I had to put them on a different brand of timothy yesterday. It's that yellowed P@H hay - we used to use it until I found this forum and the rabbits never ate much of it, but yesterday night he was very interested in it, novelty I guess.

Given the above I'm thinking he's likely got an upset stomach from the change (delivery's arrived so we're back to the usual hay). I've researched changing hay and it seems this shouldn't cause a problem but can in some rabbits. He has just come up for a brief cuddle (doesn't like too much petting). Would you say this is likely?

I have rung the vet but want a second opinion from you all because they were going on about flystrike and I just don't think it is. We have an appointment booked for later which I'm not confident about attending.

I would be inclined to keep the vet appointment. If you have a feeling there is something wrong, it is well worth getting it checked out - rabbits can go downhill very quickly. Any change in behaviour should start to ring alarm bells and I think you are doing the right thing to get him checked out.

Yes I would also keep the appointment. They will feel his tummy etc and at least put your mind at rest if there is nothing wrong. Like Shimmer said things can change so quickly.

I would definitely keep the appt. Hopefully the vet will have a good thorough check of his gut sounds and his teeth.

Back