• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how can you narrow down the age of a stray bun

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I just adopted a new bun from SPCA. They said she's Age 2 to 6. How do you narrow it down? I mean, there is a big difference btwn. age 2 vs. age 6

anyone has any tips?

Their nails tend to start being not as straight from about 5 years old - but that is a bit vague for ageing a rabbit. In younger animals, the nails / toes are nice and parallel and regular, and they grow faster. They tend to develop more irregularities as they age. Putting an actual figure to the age depends on other factors, such as genetics and how they were kept previously - but it might help to put it more towards one end of the age range you have been quoted.

Your vet and vet nurses may also be able to put a better estimate on the age from their experience. 2-6 years is an age range which basically means 'adult' - not a younger rabbit, but not 'old' either.

what about teeth? Can the appearance of teeth be a way to narrow down further the range of 2 to 6?

I thought there has to be more accurate way

I think condition of the hocks too although my Dennis is over nine and has no markings on the hocks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Alot more energetic at 2 then maybe 6 when some money but slow down
Nails thicken when older. Compared to baby rabbits with thin sharper nails

Back