• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Limping and VHD jab.....

Jolene

New Kit
One of my buns has started limping on his front paw, I have taken him to the vet and he has got anti inflamitiries and hutch rest for 2-3 days. They think it is a sprain and that nothing is broken but if he is not better in 5 days or gets worst in the mean time then I should take him back.

I have been doing some searches on here and a lot of you say your buns limp after their VHD jab. My vet has said she has never known of any reactions to the jab. I was wondering did your buns limp straight after the jab, or was it a few days later?

Hi Jolene,
With Blueberry she had her jab on the tues eve and when she came out on the thursday evening she was limping -she hadn't been that morning.

I will ask my vet about it when I next go in, they obviously didn't know about it or would've mentioned it when I took her in about the limp.

Your bun will be fine, I was told cage rest for 1 - 2 days, but the next morning she was digging at the cage bars to get out! So I figured she would do more harm trying to dig through wire bars than hopping round the living room!!

Hi,

I have very recently had the same thing happen to Brandy! How strange.

She had her VHD jab on Thursday the 9th, all went well, so we though, and on Friday night she had a very worrying limp on her front paw, i though she'd broken her leg, or maybe jumped of the couch a bit funny earlier in the week, it did cross my mind that maybe it could be a side effect, as i read on here somewhere that there can be a few thing happen - (i didn't read too much as i was getting a bit worried and thought the pros outway the cons) so i took her up to the vets on saturday morning, my vet never said anything about this, and presumed that she sprained her leg earlier in the week. Maybe this is a side effect?? Brandy also had an anti-inflamitry and anti-biotic, and she fine now, 90% recovered.

I was very worried though - hope she doesn't get it again, next year when she goes back!

Back