• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what's the average lifespan of a medium size 3.5 KG (8 lb.) bun?

In my experience, 5 to 8 years sounds about right. Our second rabbit was about 3.5 kg and lived for 7 years. Obviously, just like with other animals, some live shorter and some longer.

I have my eyes in adopting this English Spot from APX, it says the average weight is 5 to 8 lb. , medium size bun. Is the life span of a medium size bun only 5 to 8 year? That seems very short?

https://www.roysfarm.com/english-spot-rabbit/
dear happyhopping-thank you for the link,-,-the [average age]- I did not think much about unless one died at a young age.-longevity general has to do with dna,-I am not aware of any particular species which qualifies,---I am owner/operator of my own nonprofit--exotic-animal[rabbit]- rescue for over 15-years.,my last bun passed 9-24-2018,[B-denium]-havanna/breed-was 13yr.+2days.--I do know people who sell animals-[pet stores,etc]-sell when the time is right,$$-and ignore natures way-ie.when they have matured/weaned..-and then people buy because kids scream for them,once at home-they are treated like cabbage kids,no idea what to do with the animal-other than something the seller said..unless properly cared for longevity doesnot matter--sorry to get off track,-but it is according to ganghi.--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

I'm not up on rabbit breeds and genetics but I assume like pedigree dogs,some may have inherited problems.Larger breeds of dogs,Great Danes,St Bernards don't live as long as your cross breeds ,mongrels etc.Giant bunnies,Contis,Flemish giants etc don't usually hit double figures.But there are always exceptions to the rule.

1 of the members, told me this bun from SPCA could be a Dutch + English Spot cross. And I Just find out she's only 2.2KG, so that put her back to the small bun category, it would also explain the smaller weight, as regular English Spot is 3.5KG or higher. So I will be going to SPCA on Tues. and adopt this little guy

Back