• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty fur under chin

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I know this can be caused by dental issues, but could also be due to messy eating and / or wax from the chin scent gland. Bertie ate parsley (washed) very greedily a couple of nights ago, so this minute s the most likely cause as he is eating hay as well as usual. Will the dirty fur sort itself out?

Is it wet or dry? What colour is it? Is it greenish like mushed veg? I have two particularly messy eaters, Honey (angora cross so it gets in her fluff sometimes!) and Mishka, who is far worse (and white!) and frequently has her veg at such a greedy speed that it stains her fur. I have to say though the stain never lasts days, in fact it would rarely last very long at all as they will usually clean it up very quickly - at least with my two do! So from my own personal, limited experience I would have thought it unlikely to be a stain from parsley if it's lasted so long.
If it's more brownish maybe from the scent gland? I'm not too sure. I have seen Pinot (tricolour but is white underneath) with a very vague brownish stain from time to time and it's never been an issue but if it's lasted a while or it's particularly stained I would maybe consider bringing it up with a vet at your next trip in case it's an issue with the scent gland or something?
If it's wet though, or has any odour etc I'd be inclined to take him to the vet sooner than later.

It's not something I really have much experience with so I'm afraid I'm not much help, but basically just wanted to say in my own limited experience stains from veg don't seem to last very long and are usually cleaned up quickly. At least from my messy girls!
If it is caused by simple staining from veg then yes, bun will clean it up himself or at worst if it's a stubborn stain it will grow out with new fur :D I have had that from critical care staining Jazzie's fur! It took some time but went as the new fur grew in and replaced the old.

Thanks for the reply. It is much improved since mid-week, but I think it is an area he finds hard to reach. He is black and white and of course the stain is on white fur! I'll keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet when we are next there.

Back